    If you have the time, have a look at the semi-recent "Gold Tech
    Support" thread.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 5, 2005

  2. right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
    delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
    and taking them to a builder.

    PeeVee_Hermann, Apr 5, 2005

  3. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    It's been slight over two years since we purchased our LAST Dell computer.
    Guess we ducked the bullet by a few months.

    Irene, Apr 6, 2005
  4. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    First---build one

    Second--Have one built to your exact specs

    Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

    Irene, Apr 6, 2005
  5. BigJIm

    Wortenheimer Guest

    BigJIm wrote:
    || Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15
    || months ago and I received all the disks including the OS.

    i purchased a dimension 4600 about 18 months ago and received the OS on cd.
    i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought for my
    girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd. i used the dell support chat to
    request the cd and they told me i should receive it in 5-7 days.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 6, 2005
  6. BigJIm

    dg1261 Guest

    Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
    the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
    yours would be different from mine.

    Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
    couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
    creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
    already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
    relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

    dg1261, Apr 6, 2005
  7. BigJIm

    S.Lewis Guest

    From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from which
    the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home office versus small
    business).

    S.Lewis, Apr 6, 2005
  8. BigJIm

    Wortenheimer Guest

    dg1261 wrote:
    ||| i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
    ||| for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
    || Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came
    || with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I
    || wonder why yours would be different from mine.
    || Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?....

    it came with the single-unit cd-rw/dvd.

    i haven't torn into it yet. i drove it over to my gfriend's place today and
    tore the box open only to see what software came with it. i'm going to be
    setting it up tomorrow.

    what i did notice was, in place of an OS installation cd, there was a sheet
    of paper with a graphic of such a cd on it with instructions on how to
    reload the system by clicking on this or that button on the desktop.
    unacceptable. :) i came home and internet chatted with one of their
    outsourced support people who verified my order information and promised
    that i'll receive the OS cd in 5-7 days.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 6, 2005
  9. BigJIm

    BigJIm Guest

    Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at boot up
    you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really a computer
    hacker I guess
    you could burn that partition but I am not.

    BigJIm, Apr 6, 2005
  10. BigJIm

    ZupaDupa Guest

    Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
    I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
    stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
    nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
    you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
    warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

    Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
    help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
    me to do it for you... :cool: You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
    pizza will get you.

    ZupaDupa, Apr 6, 2005
  11. BigJIm

    ZupaDupa Guest

    boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!

    ZupaDupa, Apr 6, 2005
  12. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the third
    choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.

    Irene, Apr 6, 2005
  13. BigJIm

    ZupaDupa Guest

    come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
    wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
    missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?

    the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
    cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!

    ZupaDupa, Apr 6, 2005
  14. BigJIm

    dg1261 Guest

    No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
    partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:

    (HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
    (HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
    (HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe

    I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
    silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
    came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
    shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?

    dg1261, Apr 6, 2005
  15. BigJIm

    dg1261 Guest

    Yeah, I saw those posts, Stew. But according to those, one would think this
    bare-bones D3000/XP-Home computer, ordered from the Home Div., shouldn't
    have had the OS CD included. But it did, so I'm just reaching for ideas as
    to whether I got it per Dell policy, or if it's just 'cause I'm special. <g>

    dg1261, Apr 6, 2005
  16. BigJIm

    Leythos Guest

    The problem is that most home users don't have a clue about quality parts
    or even what parts work with each other. Take the P4 for instance, there
    are 4 versions of it, if you don't count the mobile P4's and each of those
    requires a motherboard with specific features. Next there is memory, and
    that requires that you match the motherboard to the memory and to the CPU
    type so that you get the fastest performance. Then video, onboard, AGP,
    AGP of some variant, PCI-Express, etc.... Then video cards, same thing,
    but now you have the differences in OEM and Retail performance, 128 or 256
    meg cards, direct support for Direct X version 9 or 8..... And none of
    this mentions SATA/IDE, 5400/7200/10000, 2mb cache, 8mb cache, 1 year
    warranty or 3 or 5 year warranties.... Oh, what about DDR2 memory in CL4
    or CL3, or boards that support DDR2 at 500 or 800, but then purchasing CL4
    memory for them....
    Yea, this is possible too, but you run the risk of a stand-off in the
    wrong place, a power-supply without enough max power, a flexed
    motherboard, pizza sauce on the memory connectors :) People not
    understanding that the RAID connectors need 2 drives and can't be used for
    single drives (in most controllers).....

    The best bet is to find a mom-and-pop shop, have them quote out a system
    for your specific needs, get the parts list, check it out online, then
    have them build it using OEM software, buy retail boxed CPU's.

    Leythos, Apr 6, 2005
  17. BigJIm

    Ben Myers Guest

    Which name brand systems are NOT made somewhere on the left side of the Pacific
    Rim? (Hint: Dell has system assembly facilities right here in the U S of A.)
    A great many of them are assembled in mainland China. For many years, system
    components (power supplies, CD-ROM drives, video cards, motherboards) have been
    manufactured in mainland China, whether by the factory of a US company or by a
    joint venture or by a 100% Chinese company.

    Anyone who wants a computer without any parts made by "commies" had best get out
    a soldering iron and metal working tools and build his or her own. This is all
    the end result of detente, the crowning achievement of Richard Nixon's otherwise
    flawed presidency. (Nixon is the only US president ever to resign from office,
    which earns the use of the adjective "flawed". No flames about "flawed",
    please.) If he and Henry the K had not opened the doors to trade and
    manufacturing in China, somebody else would have. Globalization has brought
    inexpensive communications and shipping, making it possible for systems and
    parts to be manufactured with cheap labor over there.

    None of this is new. In a past life related to my present one, I sold a lot of
    parts for more proprietary DEC Wintel computers. The parts, many manufactured
    in the mid '90's, were often manufactured in China. DEC was one of the first to
    seize the opportunity to exploit low cost labor.

    The United States and China now have a serious economic co-dependency on one
    another. The good news is that this seems to deter them from rattling swords
    loudly at one another and going to war. The bad news is that the country of
    China has just about zero standards in place to set minimum salaries and working
    conditions. Nevertheless, due to an over-abundant and dirt-poor labor force
    down on the farm and out in the boondocks, Chinese laborers are willing to work
    in sweatshop conditions, which are an improvement over life at home... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2005
  18. BigJIm

    S.Lewis Guest

    Put in a burner and I bet the 'create restore CD' option magically appears
    on the start menu within a few boots.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 6, 2005
  19. BigJIm

    BMac Guest

    OK,

    Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
    (either one will do).

    Sharing is a very civilized thing to do :)

    Bogdan

    PS. Enjoy your system either way!

    BMac, Apr 6, 2005
  20. I would buy a Dell & bought a Dim 8400 last month.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 7, 2005