    You know, this country, in spite of what the "Dellbots" think, still has
    freedom of speech, does it not?

    No, I guess that is something this group doesn't believe in.

    Irene, Apr 8, 2005

  2. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    OR, at least they think that they do.

    Irene, Apr 8, 2005

  3. BigJIm

    Wortenheimer Guest

    nah, this is duh-bya's jesusland. just quote from the bible, act like a
    moron, and you'll be okay.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 8, 2005
  4. BigJIm

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Me? A "Dellbot"? That's a laugh! Dell has plenty of faults, in my opinion,
    and I'm not embarassed to say so. But in all the years I've been reading
    this newsgroup, I have yet to come across a legitimate gripe that I could
    agree with. After separating the whiners, like Irene, who have nothing
    original to say, the other complaints I've read come from bigoted and/or
    rude and/or clueless posters who would make the same complaints no matter
    whom they did business with.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Go to the main Dell site, select the Small Business section,
    select Desktops. Once there, under the "Browse our desktops"
    heading select the "Dell Alternative Operating System Desktops.

    From that page

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    You will find that while the FreeDOS "kit" is provided, it is not
    installed, and you have the option of installing whatever OS you
    desire. It also states that "Select n series systems are also
    available with Linux."

    Limited selections, though, only the 24XX/3000 in the Dimension
    line. A little better in the Optiplex line. Precision are
    offered with Linux. Guess I may rethink, since I'll probably
    want the then current 4xxx/8xxx Dimension equivalents. May have
    to factor that purchase of my own XPPro into the higher priced
    Dells if it turns out that I can't get an XPPro-only install CD
    from Dell so that I can do a clean install off my own XPPro.

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 8, 2005
  6. BigJIm

    David Guest

    Keep in mind that if you already have a Dell
    pc that came with the oem xp cd
    it will install fine on the Dell
    that did not come with the cd and is
    perfectly legal.
    Dave

    David, Apr 8, 2005
  7. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    But in all the years I've been reading
    You, obviously, either, haven't been reading this group for years; OR you
    don't read very carefully, OR you are in fact a "Dellbot" and like all
    "Dellbot" have closed your eyes to the true facts that ARE often posted to
    this group.
    As to the "whiners". It appears to me that IF Dell still treated their
    consumer computers buyers today, the way they treated those same customers
    five years ago, there would be far fewer "whiners" And that includes myself.
    IF, you really had read my posts, and I frankly doubt that you have, you
    would know that I have repeatedly complimented Dell on their hardware
    quality, and that my ONLY complaints are with the horrible deterioration in
    Customer and Technical Support, that is being provided to the consumer
    computer buyer, by Dell. Something that has even been acknowledged by a few
    of the "Dellbots".

    Irene, Apr 8, 2005
  8. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    True and is the obvious solution for those who already have a Dell that came
    with the CD.
    Getting up to date drivers from Dell is the tough part. You can get them,
    but they don't make it easy.

    Irene, Apr 8, 2005
  9. BigJIm

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    I'm disappointed to learn they are doing this. Thanks for the info.

    Paul Knudsen, Apr 9, 2005
  10. BigJIm

    Notan Guest

    Have a look at my last post in the "Does Dell Ship XP with NTFS or FAT?"
    thread.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 9, 2005
  11. BigJIm

    Wortenheimer Guest

    I purchased through Home. Dimension 3000 arrived without OS CD. I
    contacted Dell support on Tuesday to request the CD. It arrived via
    Airborne today (Friday). No charge to me.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 9, 2005
  12. BigJIm

    Wortenheimer Guest

    The OS CD arrived today (Friday). Much sooner than I expected.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 9, 2005
  13. BigJIm

    Ben Myers Guest

    Why depend strictly on Dell to provide up to date drivers? What about the
    chipset manufacturers whose chips are on the Dell systems, e.g. Intel, ADI,
    nVidia, ATI, etc.? Why does one need up to date drivers, except to fix a known
    problem?

    Does HP make it easy to get drivers? Are there even drivers available to
    download from the HP web site? What about eMachines?

    Dell is no worse than the other name brand manufacturers in providing drivers on
    its web site, and demonstrably better than some.

    Or did you just want to argue for argument's sake? If so, I'll quickly butt out
    of this thread... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 9, 2005
  14. BigJIm

    Notan Guest

    Huh?

    I just sign on, enter my Service Tag, and a list of available
    drivers comes up.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 9, 2005
  15. BigJIm

    Bota Spota Guest

    yes. you're a dell bot to the bone. one of the signs of being a dellbot is
    that you constantly deny being one.

    Bota Spota, Apr 9, 2005
  16. Oy, hard to imagine you might infect yourself, but better safe than
    sorry, I guess. :)

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  17. Geez, this is starting to sound like alt.impeach.clinton!

    Why not blame the Brits for not taking care of the Chinks after the
    Boxer Rebellion?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  18. So you never bought one - just as I expected.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  19. Sure, Usenet is full of trolls, probably always will be thus.
    Of course, and your shit doesn't smell unpleasant either!

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  20. Good idea, Ted.

    memo to Irene:

    A simple "Ditto" will suffice until further notice.

    :-D

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005