Dell headphone jack broken need advice solder points

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dd5240, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. dd5240

    dd5240 Guest

    I have a Dell inspiron E1405 and the headphone jack was broken off
    the
    motherboard. I either need to get a replacement jack or figure out
    what solder points to jump in order to get the speakers to work. Here
    is a picture of the motherboard and the solder points.

    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/derek5240/dell_headphone002_res-1.jpg

    Does anyone know what solder points to connect in order to get the
    speakers to work on the computer. Or does anyone know where to get a
    replacement jack?

    Thanks!

    dd5240, Feb 26, 2009

  2. WARNING: THIS IS A ***GUESS*** (but I'm pretty good ....)

    1, 6, 7 and 8 all appear to be grounds.

    The sound probably comes from either 2/3 or 4/5, and you can tell by
    touching a headphone tip (with the "ring" grounded) to those points.

    The other points are likely where you jumper to send sound to the
    speakers (e.g. likely 2 to 4 and 3 to 5). even if it's wrong, a
    momentary test is unlikely to do any damage.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2009

  3. dd5240

    dd5240 Guest

    OK. Thanks. I will wait and see if anyone else has an opinion on it
    and then start shorting things out to see what works.

    dd5240, Feb 26, 2009
  4. dd5240

    dd5240 Guest

    #4 looks like it has a trace heading towards where the speakers are.
    I agree on the grounds being 1 6 7 8

    Would a multi meter help determine which ones go towards the speakers?

    dd5240, Feb 26, 2009
  5. dd5240

    dd5240 Guest

    #3 appears to be a dead end trace, I turned the motherboard over and
    there is no trace leading away from it on either side of the board.

    So that leaves us with 2, 4, and 5 with traces leading away from them.
    #4 has trace leading away on both sides of the board.

    Hope this helps.

    dd5240, Feb 26, 2009
  6. Re: "#3 appears to be a dead end trace, I turned the motherboard over
    and there is no trace leading away from it on either side of the board."

    WRONG.

    Most motherboards are 6 layer; those that are not are usually 4 layer.
    Regardless, there are internal layers that you cannot see (multiple
    internal layers that you cannot see). Thus, the fact that neither side
    has a trace going to a hole (a "via" in PC board parlance) does NOT
    imply that the hole is a "dead end".

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2009
  7. dd5240

    dd5240 Guest

    OK.... I understand. Just putting that info out there in the hope that
    it helps anyone decipher the issue.

    thanks.

    dd5240, Feb 26, 2009
  8. dd5240