Dell Incentives to keep system

Discussion in 'Dell' started by journey, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. journey

    journey Guest

    Dell sometimes offers incentives to keep a system rather than
    returning it.

    You have to ask to return it and then listen to them tell you that you
    will incur return shipping (and initial shipping if it wasn't free)
    plus their restocking charge.

    If you still say that you want to return the computer, they may ask
    what they can do so that you will keep it. Yesterday I said that I
    would be willing to keep it if I could have $200 off and a $100 coupon
    to spend on Dell products.

    I ended up receiving $100 off a ~$1,200 system and a $50 coupon to
    spend on Dell products. Not bad for a system that I had already used
    a $750 off coupon for.

    Note: I'm sure you can do this only for systems that are over a
    certain amount -- i.e. not for systems costing $399.

    This is intended as an FYI for people who want to return -- if you
    wish to return a system but find out that you don't want to pay the
    double shipping plus restocking fees, at least you may be able to get
    some money back.

    Also, if you want to avoid double shipping plus restocking, usually if
    you are persistent (and a customer who has bought a lot of Dell
    systems) you can get them to drop that. If your system is defective
    in some way and you want to get a different system, that increases
    your chances that they will waive restocking fees.

    When I returned an Inspiron 6000 a few months ago I had to pay for
    return shipping but no restockingfee.

    Journey

    journey, Apr 22, 2006

  2. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Why were you planning on returning it ? What was wrong with it that you
    decided you could live with if you got a little bribe?

    Tom Scales, Apr 22, 2006

  3. journey

    Phil Guest

    I recently had a fantastic Dell experience, along these lines. A few months
    ago I ordered an Inspiron 1300 with a 14.1 screen. After a few weeks, I had
    come to regret not getting the 15.1 screen, and inquired about replacing the
    system. At this point, I was still within the 21 day return period and would
    not have had to pay any shipping or restocking fee to replace the system. As
    an incentive, though, to keep the machine I already had, they offered me a
    $100 coupon to use toward any future online purchases. I mulled it over and
    accepted the coupon. A week later, I had come to the further conclusion that
    the Inspiron 1300 I had purchased just didn't meet my needs. The Inspiron
    6000 was the machine I needed. So, I called them back and pleaded my case.
    Well, to my utter astonishment, not only did they agree to change my order,
    they did not charge me any shipping or restocking fee. In addition, they let
    me keep the $100 coupon.

    How's that for service?

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 22, 2006
  4. journey

    journey Guest

    It was over-budget for the organization I volunteer for, so I was
    going to return it and get a less expensive laptop. I knew that I
    could get Dell to drop the restocking and shipping fees and then I
    would have gone out and purchased one of the AMD cheapies from Comp
    USA.

    When Dell offered the incentives, it brought the price closer to what
    the organization was willing to spend, but not quite. I am still
    paying about $200 out of my own pocket to help subsidize it. It's a
    worthy cause (United Way Sponsored) so I feel OK about spending some
    of my own money for it.

    Now I need to think of something to spend the $50 coupon on. Tom --
    do you know much about the security cables to secure it to a desk for
    example? I think that's what I will spend it on.

    Journey

    journey, Apr 22, 2006
  5. journey

    Mike Guest

    "What was wrong with it that you decided you could live with if you got a
    little bribe?"

    LOL

    -Mike

    Mike, Apr 23, 2006
  6. journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    (snip)

    How does that happen after the fact? I thought budgets were determined
    beforehand....

    S.Lewis, Apr 23, 2006
  7. journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    Well, that's what it's sounding like.

    "It is what it is."

    S.Lewis, Apr 23, 2006
  8. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    They are all pretty standard. As I recall it is a Kensington lock.

    Tom Scales, Apr 23, 2006
  9. journey

    journey Guest

    Oh well, think what you want. I know the truth and that's all that
    matters to me.

    Have a nice evening,

    Journey

    journey, Apr 23, 2006
  10. journey

    Mike Guest

    I may of been misread here . . . My LOL was at Tom's apparent dislike of the
    fact that Journey called and saved some cash and got a coupon; personally I
    think it's great.

    For some reason that bribe question just cracked me up.

    -Mike

    Mike, Apr 23, 2006
  11. journey

    ewisaacs Guest

    That's a great story and one of the reasons that I bought a Dell. What
    are the restocking fee charges anyways? My cousin and I just bought
    systems, and I emailed Dell customer care to find out what the return
    policy is and they have not responded back. It seems like they can
    charge these fees if they want, and that is not the way I see it on the
    website...I was contemplating moving to the 900D pentium series instead
    of the 800D that I have in my 9150...still within the 21 day policy :)

    Cheers
    Ed

    ewisaacs, Apr 23, 2006
  12. journey

    Brian K Guest

    Tom, have you seen the video where someone opens this lock with a piece of
    cardboard and a biro pen. Took him 3 seconds. No special skill needed.

    http://connect.waag.org/toool/

    Brian K, Apr 23, 2006
  13. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I was just having a little fun. Nothing more.

    Tom Scales, Apr 23, 2006
  14. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I have no doubt. I've never bothered.

    Tom Scales, Apr 23, 2006
  15. journey

    journey Guest

    I'm all for fun and I almost never take anything personally. I think
    I went through that phase on the Internet back in 1995 :)

    Journey

    journey, Apr 23, 2006
  16. journey

    news Guest

    "Brian K" > http://connect.waag.org/toool/
    Brain, thank for the heads up!!! Looks like something from a TV or Movie,
    but this bump method is alarming to say the least. the "traditional" lock
    pickers were saying "its a bit boring, requires no skills"
    thanks again
    Dave

    news, Apr 23, 2006
  17. journey

    Brian K Guest

    After seeing Barry "The Key" Wels open a Kensington lock with a piece of
    toilet roll cardboard and a pen, I lost interest in buying locks.

    Brian K, Apr 24, 2006
  18. journey

    Brian K Guest

    Brian K, Apr 24, 2006