    Reason being, dell replacements are ridiculous prices, and the lexmark are
    so much cheaper.

    any comments appreciated.

    Lordoftenbroke, Mar 28, 2006

  2. An easier modification is to remove the tab from the cartridge enclosure lid
    on the printer.
    Once that is done, the printer will accept and function properly with either
    Dell or Lexmark cartridges.
    This applies to both Dell and :Lexmark printers.

    Sorry, I no longer remember which cartridges are which.
    But the appropriate cartridges are identical with exception of case/top
    color and shape of the top since Lexmark makes the Dell cartridges.
    The specific shape of the top is solely to prevent use of a Lexmark
    cartridge in a Dell and vice versa.

    Yes, I have seen this procedure used.
    That is how the local business (Island InkJet
    http://www.islandinkjet.com/ ) does it with their printers so one printer
    can be used to test both Dell and Lexmark cartridges.
    By the way, I do not endorse Island InkLet since they have blatantly lied to
    me and in my opinion they are not very honest to all their customers.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    I was in a Staples store the other day talking to a manager and he
    said that they either now carry Dell compatible print cartridges or
    will in the near future.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 29, 2006
  4. The key word is "compatible".
    So it is not a Dell or Lexmark cartridge.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Thanks for replying, I just had the dell ones refilled by cartridge world,
    cannot comment on them yet as I have not tried them but the price was a
    third of the new ones.

    Lordoftenbroke, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    Thank you too. I am learning a lot on this group. I'm going to look
    into cartridge world. Please post after you've received and used
    them.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    Right, "compatible". My understanding is that it is not a Dell or
    Lexmark cartridge. If I find out more I'll post it, such as the
    difference in price, which might be hard to know if the cartridges
    have different capacities.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 29, 2006
  8. I am not trying to be facetious when I ask this, but why does anyone
    need someone else to refill their ink cartridges and charge them for it?

    All you have to do is buy some refill ink, put the ink in the little
    needle refiller they give you when you buy the ink, stick the needle in
    the little hole and fill up the cartridge with ink and plug up the hole.

    Am I missing something here? Do they only sell ink in America?

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 30, 2006
  9. Time is $ and for some even that time spent refilling is $ lost from other
    ventures.
    Also, it can be messy.

    "All you have to do is buy some refill ink"
    Not really that easy all the time.
    Different manufacturers and often different printers from the same
    manufacturer use different types of inks.
    The wrong ink can damage or destroy the printer.

    Lastly what is "America"?
    It is a vast area spreading far north and south of the equator.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    ""(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)""

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 30, 2006
  10. Jupiter,

    Those are all valid reasons I suppose. I never thought of it that way
    because I have never had any difficulty with doing it myself. It seems
    like the easiest thing out of many difficult things relating to a
    computer to me. Not to all though I can now understand.

    America is what people think of when the word America is used. America
    is the land known far and wide as being the anchor of this earth, the
    beacon that other people's and countries love and hate. The land that
    if this world was without, chaos would very likely reign whether many
    will admit it or not. America is the pacifier, the war lord, the
    innovator, the much maligned lately, the admired and envied, the
    behemoth that crushes and the delicate flower that nourishes. America
    is America and everyone knows it and most want to come here to this land
    and when they arrive they are amazed at the civility and culture and
    evenhandedness of its people. America is the land that reigns supreme
    and wields the largest stick ever known to mankind, yet has no desire to
    rule the rest of the world. America is the land where humans have
    achieved the closest thing to true freedom ever achieved.

    America is what makes the world turn. Without America, the good among
    nations and the bad among nations would have nobody to admire and nobody
    to loathe. They would simply be on their own in this mean world.

    America is America. Jupiter, many in America consider it an insult when
    someone asks what is America. Canada, Mexico, Central and South America
    are America only in stuffy and rigid definitions of this landmass. The
    United States of America is America.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    I posted a response and then deleted it. This is a Dell newsgroup so
    I am avoiding politics.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 30, 2006
  12. Jupiter Jones, Mar 30, 2006
  13. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    I agree!

    Journey

    journey, Mar 30, 2006
  14. Lordoftenbroke

    journey Guest

    OK, I wrote a poem that sums up my views. My Uncle sent me a
    Christmas poem about a dedicated soldier fighting for our "ideals" and
    how the soldier was invited in to a house for comfort and the soldier
    said something like "just like my daddy in Nam I am watching over you
    and fighting for freedom", blah blah blah.

    This is my Christmas poem in response to his:

    A Different Christmas Poem <Reality Check>

    The Iraquis took shelter, the bombs all alight
    Well aware of their perilous plight
    I gazed round the city, seeing illusions of might
    From the "great" US army, a disorganized sight

    My wife was stirring, her head on my chest,
    Hungry and poor, unable to rest
    Incompetance galore,
    is this the U.S. best?

    Bin Laden looked on, with great satisfaction
    Knowing the Iraquis will be split with into factions
    American's bemoaning, 911 oh my
    Now he's bleeding the US economy dry

    Bush and Rumsfeld, with their tortuous intentions
    Decide to ignore the Geneva convention
    The proud US leaders of the past over time
    Would shamefully writhe at the scene of this crime

    Some people think soldiers believe in the cause
    About as much as they believe in Santa Clause
    The image of them boldly keeping us secure ...
    Reality is, they want end to their tour

    War isn't pretty, all poems and rhymes
    So let's not pretend, it is hell, all the time
    War's bloody and messy, tragedy abounds
    Especially when justified by faulty grounds

    The leaders inane, immoral at best
    Think we're powerful and mighty --
    after all, we're the West!
    Reality though's our war machine's stressed
    There's not really that much
    In our pathetic war chest

    Our country is great, oh yeah we are fine
    Reality will show we are in great decline
    For the billions we spend,
    Means we'll have to contend,
    As our great country's future
    begins to descend

    America the beautiful the land of the free
    Soon will be poor, only partly from this spree
    The future's not bright,
    anyone with a brain would portend
    Seeing the obvious signs and the trends
    Problems so great, impossible to transcend
    So sad to see, our inglorious end.

    -- Journey Dec '05

    journey, Mar 30, 2006
  15. That was quite a sing song way of saying you dislike America because
    around 3,000 people were killed by terrorists in our country. Sure, we
    attacked Iraq, big deal. Osama shouldn't have invited the devil into his
    back yard should he? Iraq should not have been playing the game of we
    will let you know what we want you to know and keep you guessing. Iraq
    should have complied with the terms of their defeat in a more
    comprehensive way shouldn't they have.

    The day that the people whom many of you in the U.K. admire attacked the
    United States of America is the day the bell tolled for those fools.
    Did they think that we would just take their picture and put them on
    trial as the English do when terrorists attack their country? Did they
    think that America did not have the will to change their lives as they
    knew it? Did they think that America is a weak nation as their
    propaganda teaches them?

    Did they think that after the attack that Imams in the United States
    would be able to recruit future terrorists and preach death to our
    citizens as they are encouraged to do in the U.K.? Did they think that
    America would not have the courage to put a clamp down on the Imams and
    tell them that if they preach hatred and death to American citizens that
    there will be serious consequences? The U.K. is scared of their Imams,
    the U.S.A. is not.

    Did they think that after the attack on America that Muslims in America
    would be able to parade in American streets and mock us? In the U.K.,
    this type of thing is supported and nurtured. Muslims are allowed to
    ridicule and poke fun at the families who had sisters and brothers and
    mothers and fathers murdered in the subways in the U.K. The Muslims are
    allowed to make posters and march through the streets of England that
    remind the English people that if they step out of line again, they will
    pay. Posters that said remember 7-7.

    Did they think that America was as weak and scared as the U.K.? Did
    they think that they would be able to ridicule and belittle our dead
    citizens with the full support of the U.S. government? Our government
    still has a backbone, it still cares about it's citizens.

    America will never bow to people that kill us. We will never bow or
    make concessions to people that murder our citizens. America is
    stronger than ever. Our soldiers are more experienced than at any
    recent time. America will always be the strongest, the wisest, and the
    most brilliant country to ever be formed. And for those of you who feel
    that we are weak because American soldiers are being killed, you are
    wrong. We are strong because we use restraint and do not wish to simply
    wipe out innocent civilians. There is no question to a sane individual
    that America has the ability to simply clear Iraq of every man, woman,
    and child. But we do not because we are a compassionate people.

    We are not brutal or savage like the English have been in the past, that
    is not weakness, that is called respect.

    And for those of you who carp and whine about it being an unjust war, a
    criminal war, get over it. There have been and always will be people
    like you. What war is ever just? Was it just and humane for America to
    come and bail Europe out of WWI and WWII? Not really, that was not
    legal, America had no right to come to a foreign land and attack others,
    but we did. We did because they attacked us in WWII and just to help
    you weaklings out in WWI. But was it really a justified war, either one
    of them? So what, the Japanese killed our servicemen in Pearl Harbor,
    they were just people, did we have to fight back just because of that?
    Not really.

    Has any war at any time ever been justified? There were people who
    hated war 5,000 years ago too, did it stop anything? No. Will it ever
    prevent what is going to happen? No. Was just about every English king
    a crazed lunatic that thrived on death and destruction? Yes. Were
    Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Caesar, Frederick the Great, Genghis
    Khan, Charlemagne, etc... anything but brutal savages that murdered
    people just for fun? No. They were all inhumane and illegal acts that
    they all committed, but they are still renowned the world around and
    worshiped by many hypocrites.

    Grow up, this is the real world. Come and join it.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 30, 2006
  16. You did, it seems as if you posted quite a lengthy political poem
    Journey. Do you not consider poems to be political?

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 31, 2006
  17. Jupiter, in America, having pride in your country is not considered
    narrow minded. This new fad people have of feigning that they don't
    know where you are from when you say you are from America is kind of
    absurd and narrow minded really.

    If I lived in Canada, I would say I lived in Canada, not America. If I
    lived in South America, I would say I am from South America, not
    America. If I lived in Mexico, I would not say that I lived in North
    America, I would say I lived in Mexico. If I lived in Central America,
    I would say I lived in Central America, not America.

    And I live in the United States, so I and all others in this country say
    we live in America. You may not like that, but people from other
    countries have no right to determine what Americans are allowed to
    designate themselves as.
    Be careful of the assumptions you make also Jupiter. The same can be
    said concerning you.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 31, 2006
  18. "many in America consider it an insult when someone asks what is America"
    That is not pride to be insulted when someone asks such a question, it is
    narrow minded to think those in one country are the only ones referred when
    "America" is mentioned since America consists of many countries in multiple
    continents.

    Your assumption seems to be that I have little experience in the USA, when
    in fact, mine may be greater than yours unless you are past middle aged.
    Most I know in the US (a great many) do not assume America is the USA, but
    the narrow minded or uneducated I meet often do.

    I meet very few in the US that say they live in America, The overwhelming
    majority state "USA" or "United States" and sometimes "United States of
    America". That also goes for US citizens I have met in other countries.

    What assumption do you feel I made?

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 31, 2006
  19. You wish to make it seem as if people who live in the United States have
    no right to call themselves Americans. As if to do so would be out of
    line and incorrect. You seem to believe or wish to perpetrate the myth
    that people who live in the United States have never simply called
    themselves Americans. Or if they have, it was and is only the dullards
    and illiterate imbeciles that would dare ever call themselves Americans
    if they live in the United States. You are wrong. You don't know what
    you speak of.

    If you were being truthful, you could ask anyone in the world what group
    of people they think of when someone is called an American and there
    would pretty much be only one answer. The answer would be the people
    who live in the United States are called Americans. I mean really, why
    would you pursue this matter any further Jupiter. You are clearly not
    in touch with Americans.
    Your assumption that only the uneducated people in the United States
    consider calling themselves American tells a great deal about you. It
    shows you are more than likely an elitist that has contempt for everyday
    people in America that are the cogs in the wheel that make it turn. To
    call people who live in the United States who call themselves American
    uneducated and ignorant smacks of "let them eat cake". You are not in
    touch with regular Americans and for good reason I would imagine.
    Because regular 40 hr. a week Americans would probably be turned off by
    your better than thou attitude.
    There is a difference between saying where you live and what you are. I
    would not say I am a United Statesian. If someone asks us what we are
    do we say American, of course we do. If your claim is that you know all
    about America, better than most Americans do because you consider
    yourself more intelligent than most Americans, you don't represent it
    very well.

    And if you remember, the crux of this conversation revolved around the
    fact that you made out as if you didn't understand what I meant when I
    said I was from America. Simply because you consider yourself the
    intelligentsia and anyone who calls themself American is ignorant is of
    little concern to most Americans. We do not live to satisfy the ideals
    of how others think we should identify ourselves. Why? Because we are
    Americans and we call ourselves what we wish because this is our choice
    to do so.

    You say that you have more experience in America than I do because you
    are older than I. My goodness, have you never heard anyone in this
    country describe themselves as being an American. You have lived a very
    sheltered existence I would say.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 31, 2006
  20. You have now changed the word from "America" to "American", two totally
    different words with different meanings.
    The reference to years was referring to my experience with people in and
    from the USA. Do not assume it is merely a reference to age.
    Your seem to have more assumptions in this post of yours.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 31, 2006