    replaced it, still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions to get
    this to boot again or is it fried?
    Thanks for any guidance.

    ken10254, Dec 21, 2008

  2. ken10254

    Adrian C Guest

    OK, silly question first - is the power adaptor properly plugged into a
    live source of power?

    Adrian C, Dec 21, 2008

  3. ken10254

    ken10254 Guest

    Hi Adrian;
    Yes the power supply was plugged in and had the green light on. Worked
    fine yesterday; powered the laptop for hours as it was reimaged and
    upgraded. The only thing I did was add a 256 meg RAM chip and turned
    it on. Then the whole thing locked up in the BIOS screen and then it
    seemed dead as a door nail :(
    I tried it in 3 different plugs if that helps answer your question.

    ken10254, Dec 22, 2008
  4. ken10254

    Pete D Guest

    Hi Adrian;
    Yes the power supply was plugged in and had the green light on. Worked
    fine yesterday; powered the laptop for hours as it was reimaged and
    upgraded. The only thing I did was add a 256 meg RAM chip and turned
    it on. Then the whole thing locked up in the BIOS screen and then it
    seemed dead as a door nail :(
    I tried it in 3 different plugs if that helps answer your question.

    Two possible answer then.

    1. You have knackered the wee beasty, bin it or
    2. It does not like the memory you have added, take it out and try again.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Dec 22, 2008
  5. ken10254

    Guest Guest

    What happens when you take out the added ram?

    Guest, Dec 22, 2008
  6. ken10254

    htnakirs Guest

    Is this the usual way you shut down an unresponsive system? I see a
    possible power issue here, which could have caused some fuse to blow.
    Didn't depressing the power button for some seconds shut it off?

    htnakirs, Dec 22, 2008
  7. ken10254

    ken10254 Guest

    I removed the new RAM first thing; same result. Nothing

    ken10254, Dec 22, 2008
  8. ken10254

    ken10254 Guest

    No it is not the usual way I shut down, but when everything else
    failed, I had no choice. I held the power button down for over 30
    seconds and it would not shut down that way, so I had to remove the
    battery. I'm afraid I've cooked it somehow, but I don't know of any
    fuses inside this bugger. Anyone know?
    Thanks for all the replies!

    ken10254, Dec 22, 2008
  9. ken10254

    John Doue Guest

    First thing I would try is leave the machine to rest, after having reset
    the original memory as it was before, without battery, power adapter,
    for a day or two. Seems stupid, but you stand to loose nothing and
    sometimes static electricity needs quite some time to dissipate.

    Then, I would put the battery back, reinsert the power adapter plug,
    connect to the mains and try it.

    If this does not work, well, chances are you got yourself a new door
    step, but let us be optimistic.

    John Doue, Dec 22, 2008