Dell Inspiron 1100 not charging battery - AC adapter not reconized

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    My Dell Inspiron 1100 is not charging its battery. The computer itself
    runs fine on battery, until the battery dies. I have a friend who has
    been charging my battery on his to keep me going for now.

    I have replaced the AC adapter, and reflowed the AC adapter connector
    on the mother board. Neither one has helped.

    I've read that on the 5150 the 14 pin chip under door C needs to be
    reflowed because of pressure applied from a tab on the door. On my 1100
    though, this chip isn't really near the tab. And what I have read says
    the 5150 is intermittently turning off which isn't my problem.

    I tried to flash the bios with the latest rev, just be current. I get
    an error message, "The AC adapter and battery must be plugged in before
    the system bios can be flashed. Press OK when they are both plugged in
    or cancel to quit".

    When I boot the system up with the AC adapter plugged in I receive the
    following message, "Warning: A 70W AC power adapter has been detected,
    preventing optimal system performance. Strike the F3 key (before the F1
    or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning messages again."

    The original and replacement AC adapters are both PA-9 the 90W version.

    Any idea what the fix is to this problem?

    Tom, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Tom

    BigJim Guest

    sounds like there is a problem with the motherboard if the ac adapter isn't
    being recognized.

    BigJim, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Tom

    ComputergeekZac

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    You have the wrong adapter

    Simple enough, your motherboard should be fine. This message occurs when you plug a 70W adapter (usually a PA-6) into this laptop. Using the correct PA-9 90W adapter should fix it.

    ComputergeekZac, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Tom

    Uncle John

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dell 1100 not charging with correct AC Adapter

    I am having this same problem. Did you ever get it resolved? I am currently charging my batteries on a 5100 and using the 1100 for 1.5 hours at a shot.

    Thanks!

    John

    Uncle John, Mar 21, 2010