Dell Inspiron 1100 with Non-Dell (regular) XP pro installed can't flash BIOS to upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mailJLB, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. mailJLB

    RnR Guest

    Before I begin to answer this, maybe sit down, relax, drink some water
    and think of some happy thoughts.

    Now to get back on topic.....
    I haven't followed this thread but as far as disconnecting the hard
    drive, you need to go inside your case. Being that you probably don't
    know which cable to unplug, look at the back end of your hard drive
    (the primary one in case of two or more) and unplug (note how they
    were attached first) all the cables from it. Then reboot your pc, go
    into the bios and change settings to make it first boot from the cd.
    Then save those settings and let it reboot. It should upon reboot
    look for the cd first.

    Be calm and try to describe what happens when you write back and
    slowly we as a group can help you (unless its bad hardware).
    Remember its hard for us to help you not being there and having to
    rely on what you write. And I understand your fustration. We've all
    been there too (I know I have).

    RnR, Feb 25, 2007

  2. mailJLB

    Tom Scales Guest

    It's a notebook. It's not that hard. Remove one screen from the bottom.
    Pull.

    You're done.

    Tom Scales, Feb 25, 2007

  3. mailJLB

    RnR Guest

    Boy glad he didn't follow my advice <g>. He might have disassembled
    the laptop and not found what I said and then be cursing me.

    Guess lesson for me is to read the thread first.....now may I take my
    foot outa my mouth?

    Last, my APOLOGY to the OP !! Boy do I feel dumb :( .

    RnR, Feb 26, 2007
  4. like most companies, dell dosen't get to choose their customers.
    it's over a week since it was suggested that you enter the bios to see
    exactly what system board you are working with. sounds like there is more
    to this story than you are willing to tell. bought it used, found this
    computer, whatever... most importantly you never stated what you intention
    was for installing a newer bios. if it is because of some fantasy that you
    have about it being the solution to your blue screen after updating the
    memory then i suggest you think again. the memory you added is probably
    incompatible. and given that you don't really know what motherboard you
    even have in the system then how could you have possibly know if you
    selected the correct memory?

    Christopher Muto, Feb 26, 2007
  5. mailJLB

    RnR Guest

    Chris, you replied to me but I'm not the OP.
    Just wanted to set the record straight otherwise no problem.

    RnR, Feb 26, 2007
  6. mailJLB

    mailJLB Guest

    I just had time now to check back in the thread and I saw your
    comments. I got the fealing you were talking about a desktop. I know
    about desktop PCs this is my first laptop and I'm finding out its
    diffrent....

    mailJLB, Mar 3, 2007
  7. mailJLB

    mailJLB Guest

    Hey Mutto what dont you understand aobut " I can't get into the BIOS".
    Jeez you guys think I'm retarded?

    mailJLB, Mar 3, 2007
  8. to be blunt, yes, because insulting people is not the most logical way to
    motivate people to help you.
    you should be appreciative for the many answer you have received. and you
    should take some responsibility for receiving answers that aren't on the
    mark. when you craft a question poorly you get answers that you may not
    expect. blame yourself for that, not others.
    good luck.
    ps. two final words for you: spell check.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 4, 2007
  9. mailJLB

    mailJLB Guest

    I should be apriciative of your disstrust, speculation and non-
    contributory accusations, according to you. With frinds like you...

    mailJLB, Mar 4, 2007
  10. a) yes, you should indeed be appreciative of all the help you have received
    from the many contributors who gave you their time for no personal gain of
    their own. b) i am not your friend.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 6, 2007