    Flimsy

    There is a reason they are sub $1000 laptops they are made cheap. Spend
    your money on a latitude and it will be a much better machine.

    Eugene, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Eugene

    Beer Guest

    I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement for an older iBook. I can't
    believe Dell is offering the Inspiron 1000 and 1150 right around $700.
    That's pretty incredible.

    Can anyone who owns either model give me some insight? Publishers like to
    skip the inexpensive models so there's not much feedback on these.

    The following are deal breakers:
    1) LCD dimensions (already know it, so CHECK)
    2) Screen look okay? Bright enough outdoors?
    3) Keyboard - near full size keys?
    4) What's the real life battery time?
    5) Is it spunky loading apps?
    6) Can you play a DVD and surf without sound skipping? (poor man's good
    enough test)
    7) Sturdy?

    Don't really care about:
    1) Gaming.
    2) CDRW.
    3) Any sound fidelity issues.
    4) Vision clobbering resolutions.
    5) Port replication.
    6) Expansion.

    I really appreciate it. I'm about five clicks away from buying it anyway.
    But if anyone wants to spare me the hassle and return shipping charges, I'm
    all ears. Other suggested models warmly welcomed.

    Thanks.

    Beer, Nov 17, 2004

  3. It should be OK for your purposes, but you must realize there are
    compromises - the performance will not be high end, nor is the video
    upgradeable and it's pretty poor for other than 2D apps.

    DO NOT buy with a 1-year warranty - upgrade to at least a 3-year return to
    depot service plan.

    Edward J. Neth, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Has Dell fixed the overheating problems with the 1150 that you mentioned in
    a post a while back?

    Gordon McLean, Jr., Nov 18, 2004
  5. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    Yes.
    First off the latitude line gets a better warranty and support even if the
    hardware is the same, but usually the hardware is better also. I love my
    Latitude C400, though its not for everyone. I don't care to watch dvd's
    for example so having the drives external doesn't bother me at all, they
    have been pulled out of the desk drawer only once or twice.

    Eugene, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Eugene

    George Guest

    Would you say a bottom end latitude is better than the inspiron in
    this thread?

    George, Nov 19, 2004