    thing and also had the same power converter that I have.

    That is over an one amp difference. What gives????

    Thanks for any help!

    jenny, Nov 25, 2006

  2. jenny

    paulmd Guest

    Did you get this directly from Dell?

    I looked at the specs, and you are correct, 19.5v and 4.62A is what is
    specified.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/en/F7573a01.pdf

    However, there is an encouraging note.

    "AC ADAPTER THROUGHPUT - Performance is reduced when the computer is
    running on AC power and power consumption exceeds the established
    parameters of the AC Adapter. This performance reduction ensures that
    the system does not try to consume more power than the AC adapter can
    provide."

    paulmd, Nov 28, 2006

  3. jenny

    jenny Guest

    The bottom of Inspiron 6000 and 1150 clearly says 19.5V and max 4.62 Amp
    which equals 90 watts. They give a 65 watt (3.34 Amp) adapter with every
    one of these laptops. And generally, if you try to buy a Dell replacement,
    it is 65 Watts.
    I did find one 90 Watt adapter available. And I have noticed that the 65
    watt
    adapters get rather hot.

    I just can't believe they have gotten away with the huge difference in
    spec'd requirements
    and what they supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    jenny, Nov 30, 2006
  4. jenny

    paulmd Guest

    You can get away with surprising voltage and amperage differences. If
    Dell (not some third party vendor) is sending out the 65 watt model for
    this model laptop, it's probably OK.

    AC adapters do get warm, generally. Are they painfully hot?

    paulmd, Nov 30, 2006
  5. The specified power requirements of a laptop are a MAXIMUM. In order to
    reach that maximum you may have to be doing all of the following ALL AT
    ONCE:

    -Running a worst case CPU intensive application
    -On a unit with the highest power drain CPU offered for that model
    -With the maximum memory the machine can take installed
    -Using the highest power consumption hard drive the machine supports
    -While burning a CD or DVD
    -While charging a COMPLETELY discharged battery
    -While EVERY USB port has a maximum power draw device plugged in
    -While EVERY card slot has a maximum power draw device plugged in
    -With internal Bluetooth and WiFi both installed and active
    -etc.

    The real consequence of giving you a 65 watt power supply instead of a
    90 watt supply is probably that the time required to charge the battery
    WHILE THE MACHINE IS TURNED ON is probably significantly greater. It's
    also not correct to assume that the 90 watt supply would run cooler.
    The temperature of the supply is a function of how much power it is
    actually dissipating, not of how much it COULD dissipate. Assuming the
    same power conversion efficiency, a 65 watt supply delivering 65 watts
    and a 90 watt supply delivering 65 watts will both be equally hot (if
    the 90 watt supply is physically larger and more massive, the power
    being dissipated may be spread over a larger area).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 30, 2006
  6. jenny

    weedacres Guest

    I have an 1150 which worked just fine until I installed [email protected], a
    very cpu intensive program. The laptop is generally plugged in but
    occasionally runs off battery for an hour or so at a time. Recently I
    unplugged it and the laptop powered right off. I started paying
    attention to the charge meter and it never got above 13%, so I assumed
    the battery was going bad. I replaced it with a new battery and
    discovered the same thing. I realized this all started after installing
    [email protected], so I shut that down and the battery now charges to 100%.
    So, it looks like the power supply or the power adapter is not sized to
    keep the 1150 running at 100% cpu load (which also causes the fan to
    run all of the time) and keep the battery charged at the same time. In
    fact, it would appear that over time the battery slowly drains when
    running with a heavy cpu load.
    I realize that laptops aren't ment to run these types of applications
    but hadn't really given it any though as my Compaq works just fine
    running the same thing and easily charges the battery at the same time.

    weedacres, Dec 13, 2006
  7. jenny

    Jay B Guest

    that progmra is supposeto use the excess cpu cycles, not run the cpu at
    100%. something is wrong. secondly, why would you or anyone wanna
    donate your excess cpu to allow it to be used for purposes of others?
    no doubt on a laptop while its draining your battery....
    folding proteins...

    Jay B, Dec 13, 2006
  8. jenny

    paulmd Guest

    Running at 100% cpu does draw more power. It is also possible that
    there is not enough leftover power to charge the battery with the main
    power under full cpu load. Since this laptop can run with a much less
    than specified power supply, this is likely what is happening. If you
    really want to run the application, find a dell power supply with
    higher amperage. (And the correct Volts, and the correct plug, of
    course).

    See if there's an option not to run [email protected] under battery power.
    I know there are similar options for prime95 (which i use because it's
    a good stress test, not because i think i'll find a new prime)

    A lot of these programs run the Cpu to 100%, though the task is lowest
    priority, so it does not really affect performance. It's not per se an
    indication of something wrong.

    paulmd, Dec 14, 2006