    Pro that is installed on the computer.

    If it is capable I may just download it and play around.

    Thanks for any help.

    Ed Schwarz, Jan 18, 2007

  2. Yes, it is capable of running Windows 64 bit. Almost all full spec
    (e.g. not Celeron) CPUs produced in the past 2 years by both Intel and
    AMD are 64-bit capable.

    Windows 64 and Windows 32 are totally different OS'. The Dell web page
    MAY be trying to tell you that the machine was shipped with Windows XP
    64-bit version installed. But if it was shipped with 32-bit Windows XP
    (all of the "standard" versions including Home, Pro and Media Center),
    then you can't use the 64-bit updates.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Ed Schwarz

    hdrdtd Guest

    Typically when you go to Dell's web site to check for drivers and downloads
    for your system, one of the first boxes shown is a selection box (drop down
    box) where you can select which version of Windows you'd like to see files
    for.

    The fact that the drop-down box defaults to Windows 64 has nothing to do
    with which version your system actually came with.

    Simply click on the drop-down box and choose XP Pro to see the relevent
    downloads for that version of Windows.

    hdrdtd, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Ed Schwarz

    Ed Schwarz Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    It has just seemed odd to me that on this computer (which was shipped
    with Windows XP Pro 32 bit) whenever I go to the Dell web site it
    suggests upgrades for Windows 64 bit where on my two other Dell PCs
    running Windows XP Pro it suggests drivers for 32 bit Windows.

    This computer is a refurbished unit so perhaps it was originally
    shipped with 64 bit Windows.

    Anyway, this whole experience just got me to thinking about playing
    around with 64 bit Windows (not that I really need it). It looks like
    most of Dell's driviers have been updated to work with either 32 or 64
    bit Windows.

    Ed Schwarz, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Ed Schwarz

    Ed Schwarz Guest

    Thanks.

    Yes, I see the drop down box but (see my other post) it seems to
    behave differently for this one PC vs. my other Dells. Anyway, its no
    big deal to choose the correct OS from the drop down.

    Ed Schwarz, Jan 18, 2007