    outweighs
    the performance? I don't play a lot of graphics intensive games or do
    a lot of video editing. Any help appreciated.

    Thomas, Aug 27, 2007

  2. Thomas

    Jim C Guest

    Do not order this laptop if you expect it anytime soon. Dell is having
    major problems with shipments. I ordered mine on 7/19 and my estimated ship
    date is 9/7. Yikes!...

    Jim C, Aug 28, 2007

  3. Thomas

    Ron Hardin Guest

    My Vostro 1500 (from SB) ordered July 29 shipped Aug 9.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 28, 2007
  4. Thomas

    Tom Scales Guest

    Consider the outlet. I ordered my Inspiron 1420 from there and had it
    in a week for about $500 off.

    Tom Scales, Aug 28, 2007
  5. Thomas

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Is the outlet what you click to from the Dell site (scratch'n'dent etc.)?
    I've gone there many times and never seen a single good deal. You might as
    well buy new, at the regular discounts of course.

    So I was wondering if there was some other site that I'm missing.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 28, 2007
  6. Thomas

    S.Lewis Guest

    It's one and the same. I've never been fortunate enough to land over there
    when there were any especially good deals, though I've read here of people
    who seem very pleased with the money they've saved.

    That said, I just got a report that my friend just received his Inspiron
    1720 (Ruby Red) from the Dell Outlet today (overnight shipping). He tells
    me it's a wonderful system and aesthetically impressive.

    He saved a couple of hundred off of his original order, but the fact is that
    he had to have the machine in hand before Wednesday when he begins law
    school......

    You do what you gotta do. Again, his original order was placed on
    7.29.07........with no end in sight.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 28, 2007
  7. Thomas

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's it, but like the rest of Dell, it is very timing dependent. They
    were having a sale and I had a 10% coupon. Configured new, the machine
    was over $1500. At the outlet, I bought it for right at $1000.

    Nice 1420.

    T7300
    2GB
    120GB drive
    DVD/RW
    nVidia 8400GS
    Vista Home Premium
    Built-in Camera
    Intel a/g/n wireless
    Bluetooth

    Pretty loaded. I got it yesterday and really like it.

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2007
  8. Nope. That's the place. If you're really interested, you have to watch the
    inventory closely and VERY often. The good deals come and go within minutes
    quite often.

    Several times now I'd spot a deal, but then I'd stop and debate with myself
    If I should by it or not. By the time I decided to buy it, it had been
    snached up already.

    You need to open a browser window to look at the inventory, and leave it
    open, refreshing the screen every 5 min or so.

    You snooze, you loose.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 29, 2007
  9. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    I already have a laptop so it's not a problem if I get a new one late.
    However I just wanted to buy/order one now while the "back-to-school"
    sales are on. What I really want to know is if anyone has compared the
    1520 (Core 2 Duo) with the 1521 (Turion 64 X2 dual-core) in person
    (running the same apps, OS, RAM, etc.)

    Thomas, Aug 29, 2007
  10. Thomas

    Ron Hardin Guest

    My impression is that the AMD is about equivalent to a Celeron M at 1.45 GHz,
    except in the case at hand the AMD is disadvantaged by a small (512kb) cache.
    Both running with 533MHz FSB. The Core 2 Duo is a lot faster than that (about
    33% faster).

    Ron Hardin, Aug 29, 2007
  11. Thomas

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, it appears no one here has. That makes sense, though. Who buys
    two laptops to try them out?

    Every benchmark says the Core 2 Duo smacks the AMD. That's why the AMD
    models are cheaper. I understand they're not selling well either, which
    also makes sense.

    The upside is you could likely buy one at your WalMart. They carry them
    now.

    For basic apps, I suspect either would be fine.

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2007
  12. Thomas

    georgie Guest

    Great deal Tom. Which LCD display did you get at that price?

    georgie, Aug 29, 2007
  13. Thomas

    Tom Scales Guest

    It's the WXGA+, which is the 'top of the line' on the 1420. 1440x900.
    Very readable -- even better than I expected. I kind of like Truelife

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2007
  14. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    I was thinking of a situation where someone has a 1520 and their
    friend/relative has a 1521 or someone who's been to a Dell store where
    they had both a 1520 and 1521.
    Which leads to my more important question, is it worth it to save the
    money and sacrifice processing power, or vice versa?

    Thomas, Aug 29, 2007
  15. You're the only one that can answer your question. What are you
    doing with your computer? Gaming? Running complex
    graphics/computationally intensive programs? Or is it just
    day-to-day office suite, websurfing, watching myspace videos,
    etc.? I fall in the latter category, and my Dim 4400 with it's
    Pentium whatever and 768MB RAM is chugging along beautifully.

    OTOH, if I were in my previous work life, which involved
    mathematically and graphically complex and intense processing,
    we'd be looking for the most processing power we could get in a
    Dell, or other, PC.

    OTOOH, if I were the type person whose masculinity was pegged to
    the horsepower in my car, I'd be out shopping this afternoon for
    a PC with the latest and greatest, highest powered CPU available;
    and damn the cost - full speed ahead. ;->

    Ogden Johnson III, Aug 29, 2007
  16. Thomas

    Scott Davis Guest

    Tom, you don't find the Truelife to be too reflective? My daughter
    needs a laptop, but I'm not sure which display to get her. Some
    people really hate the Truelife; others like it. Conundrum.

    Scott Davis, Aug 29, 2007
  17. Thomas

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, I kind of like it. To each his own, but so far so good.

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2007
  18. Thomas

    Ron Hardin Guest

    They're all reflective. The dull surface though diffuses the
    reflections over a larger patch on the screen, where the truelife
    leaves the reflections sharp.

    The effect is that you can move the truelife reflections out of
    the way by moving your head where you cannot with the dull surface;
    and the dull surface has reduced visual contrast because the blacks
    are filled in uniformly with various reflections all over.

    The net is that you get a nice deep black with truelife, and get
    used to moving the reflections by moving your head when you need
    to see a particular place.

    There's not much you can do with the dull surface version. It just
    loses the black end of the scale, and that's that.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 30, 2007