Dell Inspiron 1545 - password stuffed

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Roy L, Mar 22, 2009.

  1. Roy L

    Roy L Guest

    Grandaughter had this bought for her by her dad for Xmas. Whilst showing it
    to her friends and demonstrating how secure it was with a password she had
    set, invited said friends to attempt to gain access to her laptop, not
    realising that 3 failed attempts would lock it up - permanently. Apparently
    there is nothing within the documentation that comes with the machine that
    tells you this. After a quick google I discovered that the NVRAM password is
    virtually impossible to get except from DELL.
    Grandaughter telephones DELL and was told that they want £57 up front to
    give her the password.
    Robbing devils!! It may be a security feature, but why cant the master
    password be included on a sticker in the manual that comes with the machine,
    like a factory fitted car radio password? Or is it done deliberatley,
    knowing that thousands of poor souls who buy there products will probably
    one day have to pay a ransom to get them released. I am so annoyed that I
    will probably have to open the machine up to do the NVRAM short trick to get
    back in. And when I do, that password is going to be cleared off -
    permanently.

    Roy

    Roy L, Mar 22, 2009

  2. Roy L

    John Doue Guest

    Well, if you are knowledgeable enough (and have the necessary equipment)
    to consider doing such a trick on the machine, you certainly know that
    this will void the warranty, "permanently". I suspect your attempt might
    have other "permanent" consequences ... Please post the result of your
    surgery.

    John Doue, Mar 22, 2009

  3. Roy L

    Leanne Guest

    I most certainly will should I have to go down this route. As for DELLs
    warranty, if they are as crappy as they have been so far I wont worry!
    I certainly would not buy or reccommend them to anyone!
    Roy

    Leanne, Mar 22, 2009
  4. I'm sorry, but I do not believe that there is a "universal" or "back
    door" password. NONE. Period. If such a password existed, it would,
    eventually, leak out and compromise the security of the ENTIRE installed
    base. And your post suggests that you think that they are going to give
    such a password to you, an end user. No way.

    I'm not saying that there isn't a way to get into the machine .... there
    is, and they may charge for it, and you may even need to send the
    machine back to them. But the way in is not by some "universal password".

    Barry Watzman, Mar 23, 2009
  5. Roy L

    Adrian C Guest

    AJL wrote:
    The master password is different for
    HP has a similar scheme which was meant to be hush but the software
    tools and method are out there in the googleverse.

    Adrian C, Mar 23, 2009
  6. NO. No such password exists. Period.

    [Toshiba has a scheme on some machines where when you perform a certain
    function on a password locked machine, it will generate a unique
    "challenge" string, display it on the screen and ask for a response.
    The string will be different every time this function is preformed, even
    on the same machine. WITHOUT TURNING THE MACHINE OFF, and within a
    limited time interval, you call a special Toshiba number, satisfy them
    that you are the rightful owner (how that is accomplished varies and it
    may require physically mailing documents in advance), read them the
    challenge string, they give you a new string ("response" string) back,
    which you enter, and it unlocks the machine. This type of scheme is as
    close as you get today to the manufacturer being able to unlock a
    machine without physically returning the machine to a service site.\

    Barry Watzman, Mar 24, 2009
  7. That is the problem .... no scheme can be kept a secret.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 24, 2009

  8. FYI... Arguing with Barry is like clapping with one hand....

    G.G. Willikers, Mar 24, 2009
  9. Roy L

    Roy L Guest

    I never suggested there was a universal password. Each machine has a
    unique service tag, which I believe is used to generate the master
    password. All I suggested was that the master password for that
    particular machine be included on a sticker within the documentation.
    The same as if you buy a new car with a factory fitted radio/cd player
    with a master password they include this password in the vehicle
    documentation. Simple! The chances of the documentation and the laptop
    getting stolen at the same time should be pretty remote, especially if
    it is not carried around together. So why do they not include the
    password with the documentation? What I wrote about DELL wanting £57
    up front to unlock the machine is true...unless it was some
    unscrupulous DELL agent topping up his salary on the fly. Not that I
    am suggesting that DELL employees may be dishonest of course, but it
    does seem strange that in all my googling on the subject where the
    advice was to phone DELL, no fee was ever mentioned.

    Roy

    Roy L, Mar 24, 2009
  10. Roy L

    Roy L Guest

    Losing a piece of hardware i.e. your car keys is somewhat different to
    getting your computer locked by a piece of software. You expect to pay
    for replacement hardware. As I previously wrote, what is the problem
    with including the master password for the laptop in with the
    documentation for it? What makes it worse is that this "security
    locking feature" is not documented in the user manual. Granddaughter
    had no idea that laptop would be locked after 3 failed attempts at
    password. BTW I did not lend her the laptop - her father bought it for
    her for xmas, he is fuming and refuses to pay for the unlock and has
    told grandaughter to save up to pay for it!. Although there are many
    of the so-called password generators mentioned in the various
    groups/webpages, I didnt manage to find any.
    As her dad is not interested, I am at present drafting a stinking
    letter to DELL, copies will be sent to various consumer watchdogs.

    Roy

    Roy L, Mar 25, 2009
  11. Roy L

    Bob Villa Guest

    Thanks for that info! (I have a 1545)

    Bob Villa, Dec 6, 2010
  12. Roy L

    dragonmaster Guest

    can fix the problem with bios password on dell computer send me a PM yo
    don't have to take the machine apart or anything like tha

    dragonmaster, Nov 25, 2011