    what's the problem is and how to fix it.
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    -Francis

    Francis, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Francis

    Brian Guest

    Hey ya

    Describe the circumstances around "often" plz. Like is there a pattern of
    what your doing at the time causing the glitch... random glitches are
    usually a hardware prob... maybe look for new drivers.... the top left of
    the screen is the origin for the mouse, so maybe it's getting reset somehow
    do to a driver error

    OR it's broken like my brothers and goes to the upper left constantly, so he
    just disabled it and uses an optical mouse.

    hope that helps, or helps you help yourself... I just need more details.

    Brian

    Brian, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Francis

    Quaoar Guest

    For a start, according to Microsoft who claim to know everything about
    their operating systems, the touchpad or pointing stick drivers send 3
    bit data packets. Wheel mouses send 4 bit data packets. The OS can get
    confused (paraphrase) about which packets are driving which pointing
    device and random mouse movements can occur as a result. There is a KB
    on this. There is no solution except to disable one or the other
    pointing device. Weird. One would think that the Masters of the
    Operating System, the Borg, would be able to prevent collisions of data
    in a slow speed bus after 20 years in the GUI business.

    That is one explanation. It is interesting to me that most everyone who
    has this random mousing reports that "it just started" where they have
    had no prior problem.

    Other than this, low power on wireless mouses cause all kinds of
    oddities, and wired mouses are subject to cable shorts that will do
    exactly what you experience. Most wired mouses that fail do so at the
    stress relief just inside the plastic case according to published mouse
    obituaries.

    Quaoar, Feb 8, 2004