    dark. I can see the faint unlit display so the panel works. I'm
    stumped. Before I give up and strip it for parts, anyone have any
    ideas? External displays work perfectly.

    bstretch, Apr 3, 2008

  2. bstretch

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    typed on Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:27:41 -0700 (PDT):
    Same thing happened to my second Gateway MX6124. Then I bought a used
    inverter from eBay and it worked fine for a few weeks and now it might
    lite up or not. Depends on how it feels. I'm just guessing here, but the
    lamp might be drawing a bit more than spec. Thus taking the inverter out
    in a short time.

    I did about 6 months ago find a place on the Internet that rebuilds
    inverters better than original they say. Kind of pricy too. Mine for
    example they said would cost 80 bucks. But I am seriously thinking of
    it. If you can't find it, I'll try to find it again when I have some
    free time.

    BillW50, Apr 3, 2008

  3. bstretch

    bstretch Guest

    Does that imply that replacing the lamp might fix things? I'm not
    sure if I want to try that though.

    bstretch, Apr 4, 2008
  4. bstretch

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:56:32 -0700 (PDT):
    I wish I could tell you. As my guess is both of them may need to be
    replaced right now. Some day it will bug me enough and I will find out.
    Right now I use it with an external monitor.

    BillW50, Apr 4, 2008
  5. bstretch

    bstretch Guest

    I took apart the screen to swap in a new backlight and it turns out
    that one of the wires had broken off the old backlight. Sometimes it
    made contact, sometimes it didn't. Must have been a bad soldering job
    to begin with. That was probably the only thing wrong but I swapped
    in the new backlight anyhow and now everything is working.

    Swapping backlights is an absolute PITA. I had help. Swapping
    screens would have been a saner approach in retrospect, but having a
    brand new bulb in there soldered correctly has its merits.

    bstretch, Apr 10, 2008
  6. bstretch

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    typed on Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:27:15 -0700 (PDT):
    Oh that is great news! I guess I have to take mine apart someday. LOL

    BillW50, Apr 11, 2008