Dell Inspiron 5100 / desktop replacements in general

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Peter Parker, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Peter Parker

    Peter Parker Guest

    Hi All,

    I was thinking about buying a Dell Inspiron 5100, but after trawling the NGs
    I am a little worried about two things:

    * it could be very noisy, as it has a desktop processor, and the fan may be
    on a lot (constantly?)
    * some users have reported difficulties installing Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server on it, and that Dell do not support this OS. I would need this OS
    for my job.

    Does anyone have any views / experiences on these issues, or anything else
    concerning the Dell Inspiron 5100?

    If this noise thing really is an issue with desktop replacements in general,
    does anyone know of a laptop with:
    * a mobile processor (for the noise)
    * decent sized screen
    * decent RAM (512 ideally)
    * the ability to run Win 2000 Adv Server
    * a European guarantee (UK and Germany)
    and (this is the killer, I think)
    * a 60GB HDD?

    My limit is about £1000 (without VAT), and it seems only to be the real
    top-of-the-range laptops that offer HDDs of more than 40GB. Maybe I'm
    asking too much for the price...

    TIA,

    PP

    Peter Parker, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Peter Parker

    K. Bell Guest

    You might be asking a little much with your budget, but here's my experience. I
    sent for one about 3 weeks ago, got it in about 8 days and am sending it back.
    Reason: it's noisy and it's really heavy (weighs more than they claim it does
    IMHO). I cannot imagine lugging it around when I go on trips much less if I had
    to do so on a daily basis. I wasn't happy about the case either. The blue
    color/plastic on the top of the case makes it look "cheap" as compared to the
    sleeker designs by other makers. Don't get me wrong for the price this is an
    excellent choice, but if you can spend a bit more, do! I now have a Sony Vaio.

    Not sure of your Windows 2000 Advanced Server issue, though, but from an
    esthetic standpoint the Dell 5100 was not the best choice for me. Others may
    differ.

    KB

    PS the screen on the 5100 was a great for my use. I went down to a 14 inch
    when I got the Vaio, but am still pleased

    K. Bell, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Peter Parker

    Dead_One Guest

    one thing to consider, on the 5100 dell only support windows xp, and there
    are no windows 2000 drivers available, last time i looked.
    Tends to cause all sorts of problems with w2k pro, not tried server.

    Dead_One, Sep 18, 2003