Dell Inspiron 5150 power weirdness

Discussion in 'Dell' started by swangdb, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. swangdb

    swangdb Guest

    I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop computer. It is over 4 years old
    and out of warranty.

    This week I was using it and it told me my battery was nearly dead.
    But I didn't think I was using the battery, the external power supply
    was connected to the computer and was plugged into a wall socket. The
    power supply light was on.

    So I powered off the computer and waited an hour or so and when I
    powered it back up, the battery had recharged, but it was still
    powered by the battery, not the external power supply. It's like the
    power supply was able to charge the battery but not run the computer.

    So I powered off the computer, removed the battery and powered it back
    on. The machine booted and worked fine without the battery. I left
    it on for a while then I powered it back off, installed the battery
    and booted again.

    It started this time and ran from the external power supply. So
    basically it's back to normal.

    So what's the problem, battery, power supply, motherboard, weak/strong
    electricity and/or something else?

    Would the setting on the Power Control Panel affect this?

    It's an old machine but I'm happy with it for now, I'd like to use it
    for another year or so if possible but I don't want to throw good
    money after bad on repairs.

    Thanks for any help you can give!

    swangdb, Nov 15, 2007

  2. swangdb

    S.Lewis Guest

    Perhaps a slightly unseated battery leading to a "hiccup".

    I wouldn't worry about it unless it occurs again. Typically a bad AC
    adapter will warn you when it fails via the notebook itself.

    If the battery is 3+ years old, then it may be time for a replacement soon:

    http://www.pacificbattery.com/

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 15, 2007

  3. swangdb

    swangdb Guest

    Thanks, if this happens again, I'll check on replacing the battery.

    swangdb, Nov 16, 2007