    connecting to the net using a 802.11b Linksys wireless card. Is this
    the typical performance of the battery? its quite disappointing.
    Anything I could do to improve battery life?

    Kevin Arouza, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Kevin Arouza

    Sparrow Guest

    Its probably just old. You're probably going to have to purchase a new one
    if you want better battery life.

    Sparrow, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Kevin Arouza

    Joe Davis Guest

    Your battery may be OK. That model never had such great battery life,
    anyway and the WiFi card is probably killing it. I find that the WiFi card
    on my Inspiron cuts the battery time almost in half. You can try tinkering
    with some of the power-saving settings to save power when you're not doing
    anything. You can probably get a second battery from Dell to go in the DVD
    slot.

    Joe Davis, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Kevin Arouza

    myaveratec Guest

    1) Try to recalibrate the battery. You might be able to do this
    automatically in bios... or might have to resort to fully charging and
    discharging the battery at least 3 times consecutively. Don't let the laptop
    go into hibernation or power saving mode while discharging.

    2) Check to see if Dell has an updated bios version for your machine.
    Sometimes getting much longer battery life is only a matter of updating the
    bios.

    3) Wifi cards will cut battery life pretty good. My new notebook is suppose
    to get 3+ hours without wifi, but I'm lucky to get 2 hours when using wifi.

    myaveratec, Sep 20, 2003