    Can anyone reccomend another action I can try?

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for that link. It looks like the machine is overheating. I'll
    take it apart this weekend and clean, perhaps lube the fan (if
    possible).

    Much appreciated!

    Tony, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Tony

    Quaoar Guest

    Do not lube the fan. Remove any fibers, etc, from the shaft but do not
    lube the fan unless you can find a libricant that is specifically
    designed for computer cooling fans.

    Quaoar, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Fortunatley, I couldn't find any oil to do it so it wasn't done.
    Thanks for the tip. We're looking for a laptop cooler right now. We
    downloaded the app in the link that was posted and overheating is the
    problem for sure. We watched the temperature rise from 65 degrees C to
    95 degrees C before it powered down. The fans are both working but on
    high, they run at about 7800 RPM's max. On a machine identical to this
    one, we where seeing the average temp at about 51 degrees and the max
    fan speed was about 8200 rpms. Could our fan assembly be wore out?

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Tony

    bobb Guest

    Two fans?!! that must be one loud son.

    If both fans are working, I feel that not your problem, make sure the
    vents are not blocked.

    CPUs will shutdown when they hit 100 centigrade.

    bobb, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Tony

    arnb Guest

    What's running on the failing machine. Does the other machine fail with a
    similar work load? What's running on the failing machine and is it video or cpu
    intensive?

    Take a look at this link also try blowing out the fan ducting with compressed air.
    http://www.notebookreview.com/forums/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=3035&FORUM_ID=4

    arnb, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    We cleaned the vents. What about the heat sink? CPU itself?

    Tony, Jan 18, 2005