Dell Inspiron 8500 - pointing stick and touch pad stop working afterhibernation

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bob Pownall, Jan 30, 2010.

  1. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    System: Dell Inspirion 8500 running Windows XP Pro, SP3

    The symptom is that when I put my system into hibernation (i.e. close
    the lid when the system is booted up and running), when I bring it out
    of hibernation a few minutes later, the pointing stick and touch pad no
    longer work. The mouse, which is connected to a USB port, does still
    work, though. If I reboot, then things are fine again.

    Any ideas? Is this just me? Or what?

    The only ideas I've had is that A) there's dirt / crud in the keyboard
    that's messing things up or B) some recent Windows Updates is
    (inadvertently) at fault.

    One thing that possibly makes me lean towards the "dirt / crud" scenario
    is that after a few minutes of usage, the touch pad and pointing stick
    start acting erratically.

    Maybe it's just age / wear and tear? An early sign that it's time to
    get a new laptop?

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, Jan 30, 2010