    GF 4 Go 4200 as opposed to the 8600 which is the 128 meg GF 5650. I've also
    seen many threads in the U.S. dell support forums which deal with the
    comparison of the two systems. Hope this helps!

    Dan, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Dan

    N Iko Guest

    Hello there,

    can anybody tell me, if or what is the difference in the processors of
    Dell Inspiron 8600/8500?

    Or is the difference only in the RAM speed? Does that make a big
    difference? Does anybody have experience or advises which one to buy?

    Thanks, Niko

    N Iko, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Dan

    W Guest

    8500 uses pentium 4 chips

    8600 uses pentium M chips for Centrino / uses less power and battery
    last longer, I've been getting 4 to 5 hours on a charge. I don't know
    how long the battery last on the 8500, but would imaine 2-3 hours.

    W, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Dan

    dGerbZ Guest

    8600 a much better choice as price difference is minimal.

    dGerbZ, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    To go from Pentium M to pentium 4, add 800Mhz to the pentium M clock rate.
    Ex. 1.4Ghz pentium = about equal to 2.2Ghz pentium 4

    Dan, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Dan

    Whelan Guest

    That's what I'm thinking now too.
    I ordered a 8500 last week but wish I'd ordered the 8600 instead.
    On the Pentium 4, I ordered 2.4ghz.
    I don't know how these Centrino ghz numbers of 1.3-1.8 compare. (Maybe
    that's why I didn't order the 8600; thinking the ghz were too low.)
    Nan

    Whelan, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Dan

    scott Guest

    Cancel our order and order the one you want. If too late, you can
    send it back get refund and order what you want.

    scott, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Someone in this newsgroup stated that approximate equivalency can be
    obtained by adding .8GHz to the speed of the M processor numbers.
    Therefore, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz chip is approximately the same as an M
    processor operating at 1.6GHz.

    If you're serious about having regrets about ordering the 8500 instead
    of the 8600, like the other respondent said, either cancel your order
    and order an 8600 or wait until you get your 8500, send it back within
    30 days and order an 8600.

    Best regards.
    --
    Rich Cervenka
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

    Rich Cervenka, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Dan

    Whelan Guest

    It shipped yesterday, so we'll examine it but maybe send it back.

    Not sure how that works -- (I hate to ask the salesman to explain it to me.)
    Where is Dell's Return Policy stated?

    In addition to 8600 (or 5150), I wonder if SXGA would be a smarter choice
    than XGA on a widescreen?
    (We'll soon get to see the WXGA in person.)
    Nan

    Whelan, Nov 5, 2003
  10. Dan

    PC Gladiator Guest

  11. Dan

    Whelan Guest

    Whelan, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Dan

    W Guest

    I have an 8600 with sxga. When I use email and web browser, I have to
    zoom in on the text so I don't strain my eyes. The scrren is great for
    pictures though.

    W, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Dan

    Niko Komin Guest

    Well, apparently the german website is in error, cause it's saying for
    both
    Inspirons: "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Prozessoren-M".

    American website says
    "Intel Pentium M Processor" (8600)
    "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor" (8500)

    So now: the 8600 uses less energy, even though the other one is called
    "mobile"?
    What about the instruction set, is it the same? And what exactly do you
    mean by
    "centrino notebook if it..."? I thought centrino is a CPU (which I don't
    want,
    cause I've heard bad rumours especially about linux kernel
    compatibility).
    What does the WAN card change about the CPU and is it the same with
    the "Dell True Mobile"?

    Niko

    Niko Komin, Nov 6, 2003
  15. Dan

    Erick Guest

    I actually recommend getting the WUXGA. Since switching to my 4150 with UXGA
    (on a 14" screen too), I can't go back to having less screen real estate.

    You will find that WXGA is pretty huge on a 15.7" LCD, so WSXGA+ may be a
    good compromise (if WUXGA is too small for you to read).

    Erick

    Erick, Nov 6, 2003
  16. Dan

    Whelan Guest

    Thanks for the screen feedback.
    I know I wouldn't want the WUXGA, but since the screen size is permanent,
    maybe the SXGA would be a good compromise, as you say.

    Today I was looking at 5 different widescreen laptops at Costco. 4 of them
    were 17" widescreens. I checked Properties on one and it said 1400x900; that
    was as high as it went. I haven't yet looked up what that's close to. The
    15.4" screen looked small beside those 17" screens.
    Good prices at Costco!
    I have to remind myself that $500 of the Dell price is for Advanced Port
    Replicator and Warranty.
    Nan

    Whelan, Nov 7, 2003
  17. Dan

    Sara Guest

    I, too, am in a quandry as to whether I did right by ordering my 8500
    (it should be here tomorrow, 11/17). I actually don't think I was
    fully cognizant of the 8600's and certainly not of the technical
    differences in the processors until now, which is so unlike me, since
    I usually do way too much "homework" before a purchase <sigh>.

    Should I even care, if:

    I seldom have my computer on my lap, so the "heat" issue does not
    bother me from a physical discomfort standpoint, but I would presume
    it is a hardware advantage as well to be running cooler.

    I seldom run on battery, but on occasion it would be nice to have more
    battery life. Is the increase in battery life *that* substantial. I
    really don't care about an extra 30 to 45 minutes. It would have to
    be more than that to interest me.

    I don't use my laptop for games. Strictly heavy, heavy business apps
    and heavy surfing, desktop publishing--Pagemaker, PaintShop Pro, etc.
    I ordered 2.6 with 512. Would 1.7 Centrion (= to 2.5?) get me more
    efficiency/speed than [email protected] 2.7? Or should I stick where I am?

    I would suspect that after the first of the year, or very soon, at any
    rate, Centrions will experience a lot of upgrading that would make the
    change at this point moot anyway.

    Study long, study wrong. I really am trying to convince myself that
    when it arrives tomorrow to take it out of the box, be happy with it
    and not look back, but if I would be foolish not to return it and go
    with a better set up, I'm ready and willing to do it. I don't mind a
    $100-$200 difference in price if the 8600 is a better choice for me.

    Thanks for any insight provided,
    Sara

    Sara, Nov 16, 2003
  18. I had the same quandary after receiving my 8500 but now I am happy. I didn't
    need wireless connections. I tried playing a game on full settings (video
    etc) on the battery and got about 2:10 hours. One could allways whish for
    better but I think I got more options on the 8500 than I would have on an
    8600.
    Hope that helps.

    John Mitchell, Nov 17, 2003
  19. Dan

    Erick Guest

    [snipped the other post]

    If it helps, call Dell and tell them you wish to return your 8500 because
    the 8600 came out. They may offer you a $100 to $200 credit on your current
    notebook.

    It's worth a try.

    Erick

    Erick, Nov 18, 2003
  20. Dan

    singa_lvr Guest

    Except that I think the 8600 uses much slower processors.

    singa_lvr, Dec 28, 2003