Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Monica, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Saturday, I got a blue screen with a PFN_List_Corrupt error message, powered
    down the computer (to restart) and when I did, it revved up like a jet
    engine. I'm sure it would have (literally) blown up if I hadn't reached the
    electrical plug in time! Smoke was coming out of the back of the computer.
    Called Dell. 4 yo Dimension 8400 is still under full warranty till May of
    this year. Great! They'll pay for a new power supply or fan (or whatever)
    over heated and smoked. No.....they're sending a new (probably refurbished)
    computer! :eek: What would be today's equivalent to a Dim 8400 that was
    shipped with a P4 processor, 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM (I now have 4 but XP only
    reads 3.2GB), Radeon X300 graphics card, CD/DVD dual sided burner), SB
    Audigy 2 5.1 surround sound and 160GB hard drive? Or maybe you know more
    about how Dell handles this and what I could expect. I have no idea what to
    expect but I'm a little worried. I know it's a 4 year old system but it's a
    good, expandable one that, until Saturday, hasn't given me a minute's
    trouble and runs great. I requested a XP os but was told they're all
    shipped with Vista. According to their website, they CAN ship with XP.
    I use a vacuum on all the openings that can suck in dust and also the back
    where the fan vents are located. I have no indoor pets and at least once a
    year (if not more) remove the cover to clean the inside.
    Monica

    Monica, Mar 3, 2009

  2. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica, Dell replaced my 8400 about 18 months ago with a 9150. A much better
    computer. You should get something even better. Insist on WinXP.

    Brian K, Mar 3, 2009

  3. Monica

    JayB Guest

    i would just use your xp cd on whatever they send you.

    you can also clone your system drive onto a new one, then do a repair
    install from the Dell windows CD to fix the hardware drivers problem you
    would have. then you have your exact system back.

    dont settle for a vostro.
    make sure you get a XPS or optiplex. or dimmension 9150 mimimum.

    the entire refurbished computer is equal in price to the old
    motherboard. you can always get that motherboard on ebay for cheap and
    have 2 computers. or sell off the new one they give you after replacing
    the MB in the old one if you love it so much. you have a lot of options.

    JayB, Mar 3, 2009
  4. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Dell will want the 8400.

    you can always get that motherboard on ebay for cheap and

    Brian K, Mar 3, 2009
  5. Hi!
    Sounds like a case of a power supply losing all regulation and failing to
    shut down in a safe way. Fire would be a bit unlikely, but it can't hurt
    that you unplugged it. I strongly suspect that a great many components in
    that system are now useful as wall hangers, provided they don't smell too
    bad. Sadly, this may mean that your hard drive was damaged as well, although
    you could get lucky.

    I'm impressed that Dell agreed to replace the computer with a newer one. (Of
    course, to be fair, smoke coming out in large quantities will tend to induce
    that reaction.) I tend to agree with the other posters--the only "real"
    equivalent to your Dimension would be another, more modern Dimension system.
    The Inspiron and Vostro systems sold today are not bad, but they are not
    built like the Dimension systems of times past. If Dell won't supply a good
    refurbished Dimension, I'd look to the OptiPlex systems...they're still
    solidly built, business grade systems and many of them can be upgraded to be
    hot rod computers if that's your intention.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 3, 2009
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Brian, was the 9150 a current machine at the time? I've told no less than 6
    reps/tech support people that I want XP. I can always reformat and use my
    XP cd that I burned when I got the Dim 8400 (right?) but it would be nice if
    XP came on it.

    Monica, Mar 3, 2009
  8. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thanks guys. I'm anxious (and nervous) to see what they offer me. I've
    heard of companies replacing (other) products in similar situations and
    going on the cheap side...customers NOT happy after being told the
    replacement would be equal to or better than what's being replaced.
    Monica

    Monica, Mar 3, 2009
  9. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Some of what I'm reading about the PFN_List_Corrupt points to bad memory
    sticks. Last summer, I replaced the two 512 sticks and maxed the system out
    with 4 1GB sticks. Where would (or would it) the system indicate bad memory
    if that was the problem? In Setup before entering Windows?

    Monica, Mar 3, 2009
  10. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In Monica typed on Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:24:54 -0600:
    Well considering you saw smoke, that hints that there was too much
    current in one or more components. The true blame of why is unknown
    right now. But the memory could be one cause for sure.

    I wouldn't try swapping the memory out with other memory. Because there
    is a chance that anything you plug in can blow as well. You can inspect
    the memory though and smell it. As that is what might has smoked. You
    are going to have to take them out anyway to return your computer under
    warrantee anyway, right?

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Mar 3, 2009
  11. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Yes, the 9150 was a current machine and I assume it was new. Same specs or
    better than my 8400. (Same size HDs, RAM, video card etc). Dell gave me 10
    days to return the 8400. Quite long enough to get all my data off the old
    HDs.

    If it comes with Vista you could add WinXP as a dual boot. That is if your
    WinXP can be activated as the license is tied to your 8400. Sort this out
    with Dell.

    Brian K, Mar 3, 2009
  12. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    That model can be completely moon-barking bat-schitt crazy when it's not
    running properly.

    They are replacing her system due to the smoke and possible resulting
    liablility as a fire hazard.

    S.Lewis, Mar 4, 2009
  13. Monica

    Monica Guest

    FedEx just delivered a XPS 420. Nothing in the box that states the
    configuration. No packing slip, nothing. There are 4 sticks of memory.
    Pulled one. It was a 1gb stick. I'm assuming the others are too. The
    outside of the system is a mess with smudges that won't come off and
    scratches. Came with Vista....someone didn't get the XP memo! Here are two
    links to pictures I took of the mobo and what I think is the video card.
    Maybe someone can identify them please? Sound cared must be integrated
    :( Back when I made it my business to know all this stuff, "integrated"
    wasn't good. My 8400 has an Audigy 2 card with 5.1 surround sound. I'll
    call Dell later and try to muddle thru 50 different non-American speaking
    agents and hope to get less than 50 different answers :eek:
    Monica
    http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839099
    http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839327

    Monica, Mar 4, 2009
  14. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    There's only (1) motherboard spec for the XPS420 so far as I know.

    I own that model.

    What's your question?

    F2 into BIOS at the Dell splash and you'll be able to discern CPU/speed,
    RAM/amount/speeds, and hard disk size........

    And, yes, I'm running Windows XP Pro on mine (RAID1).

    Great system.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 4, 2009
  15. Monica

    Rich Guest

    My 8400 has an Audigy 2 card with 5.1 surround sound. I'll
    I'd definitely pull the sound card from your 8400 & revert it back to
    on-board sound before returning it to Dell. If it was cooked in the smoke
    then I would make the argument to Dell that integrated sound is not an
    equivalent to An Audigy card.

    Rich

    Rich, Mar 4, 2009
  17. When I got my Dell XPS M1530 I didn't find any shipping documentation or
    configuration inside the box, BUT, after looking more carefully on the
    cardboard box exterior, I found a pasted-on label that, when carefully
    removed at the peforations, revealed that information! As Tim stated, I
    also recovered the information using the service tag at their website.

    Robert Wilson, Mar 4, 2009
  18. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Entered the Service Tag number and got "no information available". I've
    got some of the configuration info from tech support.
    All of it is not available yet....has to do with this being a refurbished
    model. Original ship date was Jan 08 so it's only a year old. There is a
    VIIV sticker on the front.
    Not familar with that. Googled it. Marketing hoopla? Core 2 Quad Core
    6600 2.4GHz, 3MB 667 RAM, 8MB L2 Cache, (integrated) SigmaTel HD Audio Codec
    (have no idea how that compares to my Audigy 2 card), ATI Radeon HD 2400 vid
    card, 320MB hdd (double the
    size of the 8400). It all seems to be a sizeable improvement over the
    8400. The little sidebar window feature on top of the box....I don't get it
    :eek: Looks nice but could they have put the money elsewhere?

    *My current system has
    4- 1GB 240-PIN DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-4200 UNBUFFERED. All I know of the new
    is 3MB 667 RAM. Is that enough information to be able to compare the two
    sets? Which would be better?
    **About "downgrading" from Vista to XP SP3. Could I expect to run into some
    driver or compatibility issues. I have the XP SP2 OS cd that came with the
    8400. I've had one ts agent tell me it wouldn't install on a different
    computer. Another said it would.

    That was an interesting read about all the other Dimension 8400s that have
    had the (or some of the) same problems. I really didn't expect anyone to
    believe me when I said the fan/power supply sounded like jet about to take
    off :eek: Thank goodness I bought the extra warranty when I purchased the
    system. I didn't even realize it was still under warranty. Think I'll have
    them troubleshoot the speaker problem since I'm covered for two more months.

    Monica, Mar 5, 2009
  20. Monica

    Ben Myers Guest

    FYI, the Dell XP SP2 CD that came with your 8400 is aware of SATA
    drives, because it is SP2. Microsoft slipstreamed SATA support into SP2
    after all the name brand manufacturers complained loudly about the lack
    of SATA support in Classic XP (what else can you call the original
    except classic?) and XP SP1. So the bottom line is that technically it
    will install OK onto the XPS 420. Thereafter, you need to go to the
    Dell web site and download the drivers for the XPS 420.

    Unfortunately for you, there are no XP drivers on the Dell web site for
    the XPS 420, so all you can do is try installing the Vista drivers on
    XP. However, the Intel chipset, STAC audio, Intel Ethernet, and
    whatever video driver for the video card should install with no problem,
    as they are packaged to install on more than one Windows operating
    system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 5, 2009