    I have no experience with this situation and I'd be interested to know if
    Monica's WinXP will activate over the internet. I'd expect it won't and you
    will need to call Microsoft. What do you say?

    Brian K, Mar 5, 2009

  2. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    I can confirm that and with an XPS420......

    S.Lewis, Mar 6, 2009

  3. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In S.Lewis typed on Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:06:20 -0600:
    Also true of a XPS400. Also true of every other computer manufacture
    that came with Windows XP or Vista that I have ran across.

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Monica

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have also found that Pledge furniture polish works nicely to remove
    smudges, grime and dirt, especially to shine up the plastic chassis of a
    Dell laptop. Goo-Gone leaves an annoying residue, so it is my last
    resort for cleaning up computers, usually when there is really sticky
    stuff on them... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 6, 2009
  5. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    That's good to know. Maybe it's user error but I can't seem to find ANY
    controls for it other than what the speaker icon in the sys tray is capable
    of. Volume is turned up 100% but it's not that loud. Can't find a program
    to adjust balance, bass, treble, etc. The two rear speakers from my 8400
    aren't working on the new computer. Called ts. They just led me thru the
    same steps I'd already taken to fix the speaker problem. They're sending
    new speakers. Can you (or someone) point me to where I might find installed
    software for the SigmaTel HD Audio Codec?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    monicakm, Mar 6, 2009
  6. Monica

    WSZsr Guest

    Have you checked the control panel?

    WSZsr, Mar 6, 2009
  7. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    Yes I have.

    monicakm, Mar 6, 2009
  8. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    Well that's just crazy. I'm considering keeping the Vista OS only because
    it sounds like it could take hours and hours of searching for drivers and
    fixing incompatibility issues (it took about an hour and a half to get my
    scanner to work with Vista). Would XP SP 3 solve most of the problems I
    might run into if I decided to "downgrade" to XP?

    monicakm, Mar 6, 2009
  9. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    LOL, Tom, how did you know they were sending a 420? It is nice, it really
    is. I'm surprised they offered such a big upgrade. If I can get this sound
    thing figured out, all my speakers working and reformat to XP SP3, I'll be
    very happy. This is my 3rd Dell and it won't be my last.

    monicakm, Mar 6, 2009
  11. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    The integrated audio is the SigmaTel HD audio CODE/ STAC 92XX.

    Mine is version 5.10.0.5143 according to Device Mangler.

    Very good audio imo.

    S.Lewis, Mar 7, 2009
  12. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    That should read "CODEC STAC 92XX" for Windows XP.

    S.Lewis, Mar 7, 2009
  13. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I love my 8400. Sad to see it go. It's been a great system. Four years
    old and performed flawlessly...till now :eek: I think I patted myself on the
    back one time too many about how well maintained and "zippy" it still was
    after 4 years <lol>

    I noticed the hdd bays are on the floor of the 420. Is this a "better"
    place for them?

    OK, I've decided to remove Vista and install XP SP2 , using the Dell branded
    CD that came with my 8400. Then I'll install SP 3.
    There is a recovery (partitioned?) drive on the Vista machine. When I boot
    from the XP cd and reformat c\ that's not going to touch the
    recovery drive is it? Will I be able to just right click on that drive and
    choose reformat?

    What to do about the hdd on the 8400 (that's going back to Dell)? What
    about all my personal information, including passwords and financial files?
    Even if I were able to wipe it clean, I know information is still there if
    it hasn't been written over. I wish this was as big a rush for me as it
    used to be...now it's a major pitb :eek: But, Dell took care of the situation,
    so for that I'm thankful.

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009
  14. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thank you for the XP driver link :)
    I guess I'll have to buy another soundcard. There doesn't seem to be any
    way to make adjustments other than volume levels (which are weak).
    I'll call tech support first just in case I'm missing it.
    As for transplanting the Audigy 2...don't you think they're expecting all
    the computer innards to be in place when I return it to them? :)

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009
  16. Monica

    Monica Guest

    But how do you make any adjustments/tweaks? Did your system come with
    software to adjust/mix, audio converter, equalizer, etc?

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009
  17. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica,

    Have you considered keeping Vista for the time being and installing WinXP as
    well? It's not that difficult to set up an independent dual boot. Because
    the OS are independent, you can delete either OS in the future if you don't
    plan to use it again. At least you will have a fully functioning (Vista) OS
    while you look for WinXP drivers.

    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

    Brian K, Mar 7, 2009
  18. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Tom, what is "optical out"? I must be doing something wrong. Everyone
    seems to love the SigmaTel integrated sound on this machine. Maybe it's my
    old speakers.
    The video card is Radeon 2400 (not Pro). Just looked at the ATI cd and
    found XP drivers. It's a 128mb graphics card. My hobbies are photography
    and video editing...no gaming. Would I benefit by upgrading to 256?

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009
  19. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Pledge did wonders :) Thanks.

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009
  20. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Hummmmm. If the new speakers they're sending don't help the sound on the
    420, I'll call ts about the sound quality.

    Monica, Mar 7, 2009