    large single primary partition. My plan is/was to remove Vista tonight.
    Here's a screen capture:
    http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/110000208

    monicakm, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    Nothing less :)

    monicakm, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica,

    There are 3 partitions to be deleted. The 63 MB Dell Diagnostic partition,
    the Dell restore partition and the Vista OS. You can't delete these
    partitions from Windows.

    There are several free partitioning apps. You can get a one month trial of
    BootIt NG, an app which I use.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

    Disconnect all external HDs and flash drives. Download the app and this is
    how you make the boot CD...

    double click makedisk.exe, next
    dot in I accept the agreement, next
    no tick for Registration, next
    dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
    dot in VESA Video, next
    dot in Partition Work (Don't put a dot in Normal), next
    don't choose any Default Device Options, next
    leave Registration strings blank, next
    select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
    Finish

    Boot from the BootIt NG CD.
    Your CD boots to the Work with Partitions window
    select each partition in turn and click Delete
    put a tick in Clear Boot Sector and click Yes.
    When you have finished, the Partitions area will show a single line of
    "Free Space"
    remove the CD and power off.

    Don't be afraid of messing it up. You are deleting all partitions. What
    damage can you do? Don't bother creating a new partition. This will be done
    during the WinXP install.

    Questions?

    Anyone have a different approach?

    Brian K, Mar 9, 2009
  4. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    Boot disk is made, directions copied. I'll be back...maybe!
    Thanks Brian.

    monicakm, Mar 9, 2009
  5. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    I hope you are now installing WinXP. I forgot to say "Don't" choose Wipe
    Partition. Not unless you have a spare year or two.

    Brian K, Mar 9, 2009
  6. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:56:11 -0500:
    Hi Monica! If you don't want anything on that drive anyway, it will be
    very easy. And you don't need a partition manager or anything either. As
    when you install Windows from scratch (make sure you have drivers first
    before wiping anything out), you will have the option to delete
    partitions. Thus delete all of them and then create one that takes up
    the whole drive.

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Mar 9, 2009
  7. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Wellllll, that was interesting. Got to bed about 3:30. Your directions
    were perfect. Burned the CD, then discovered I had to change the boot
    sequence to the CD-ROM. Deleted the partitions and started the XP install.
    Everything was going peachy while the drivers were loading (about the first
    3 minutes or so). When it came time to install Windows, I got a
    bsod...STOP: 0x0000007B and a few other strands of meaningless mess. Tried
    it again with the same results. Changed computers and Googled 0x0000007B.
    This is common to those trying to install XP in a Vista machine. I had to
    make a change in the Bios setup to the SATA operation changing it from
    RAID/Auto/AHCI to RAID Auto/ATA. It worked, but apparently it will "turn
    off the high performance features of the controller and put it in
    compatibility mode" :( Setup then went without a hitch BUT TOOK ABOUT 2+
    HOURS! Don't remember if I chose Wipe Partition. I haven't added SP 3 yet.
    Will do that as soon a I can get an Internet connection (I'm on Hughes
    satellite). Right now, I can't. It was simply a matter of plugging in one
    cable to the back of the 420 (same with the 8400), but after installing XP
    SP2 on the 420, it's not working for me. Anyone have any ideas?
    Monica

    Monica, Mar 9, 2009
  8. Monica

    Ben Myers Guest

    The required steps immediately after installing XP SP2 are:

    1. Install Intel(?) chipset drivers (ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FIRST STEP!)
    2. Install Ethernet drivers

    Thereafter, the computer should have internet access. Next, in any order:

    3. video drivers
    4. audio drivers
    5. other hardware drivers

    In other words, before doing much else, make sure that all of the
    hardware has the appropriate drivers installed. The typical
    pre-installation job is to gather all the required drivers together on a
    flash stick (best) or burned onto a CD (OK, but a waste of a CD).

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2009
  9. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Ben, is the chipset the one listed at this link?
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19242664.aspx

    Intel X38 (Bearlake X) Chipset ?
    Should it be installed before I update to SP3?

    Is "Network", in the same list above, the Ethernet driver I'm looking for?

    My video card is the Radeon 2400 (not Pro). Pro is the only driver listed.
    Will it work?

    Monica

    Monica, Mar 9, 2009
  10. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    1) X38 chipset, and yes. Install it first.

    2) Yes, that is the correct network driver for the Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit.
    Same version driver I have.

    3) Your video card is, in fact, the HD 2400 Pro, same as mine was. Yes, it
    will work.

    HTH

    Stewart

    S.Lewis, Mar 9, 2009
  11. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thank you!

    Monica, Mar 9, 2009
  12. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    When it came time to install Windows, I got a

    Your WinXP CD is over 4 years old and it doesn't have drivers for your
    current storage controller. The WinXP CD that came with my 8400 didn't even
    have drivers for my 9150's storage controller. I found that out when I tried
    to set up a dual boot. If you want to have RAID/Auto/AHCI mode, you need
    these drivers. I don't know whether they can be easily installed at this
    stage so you can revert to RAID/Auto/AHCI.

    Brian K, Mar 9, 2009
  13. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I don't think I need a RAID system/drive. I'll be putting my internal
    backup drive in the 420. I do a backup every day..not of the system, just
    selected files/folders. I'm ok with that. But, are my two SATA drives no
    longer going to be seen as SATAs? I guessthis means slower drives? I just
    removed the Barracuda SATA internal backup drive from the 8400. It was
    connected to the mb with one blue cable. With the newer mb, will it connect
    with the same cable?
    Installed the Monitor driver found on the website for XPS 420/XP drivers. I
    couldn't finish the setup. I was to go to Desktop
    Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor/Properties. The monitor Properties is
    grayed out. I have an UltraSharp 2005FPW that is connected with a DVI
    cable.
    Device Manager shows the following problems:
    http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/110032852
    The drivers I downloaded from the XPS 420/XP page that S. Lewis posted were
    for the
    chipset
    Audio
    Monitor
    Network
    SATA (does this mean I can rest the SATA operations in the BIOS?)
    The others didn't seem to apply to me.

    Monica (who can see the light at the end of the tunnel)

    Monica, Mar 9, 2009
  14. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In Monica typed on Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:28:04 -0600:
    Yes Monica, you need the Dell's SATA driver. Otherwise you have to live
    with the slower performance.

    BillW50, Mar 9, 2009

  15. Probably the easiest way of getting Dell's drivers for the raid controller
    would be to buy a Dell XP SP3 cd off eBay. You can get them cheap because
    they arent the license just reinstall media and given most machines
    currently don't come with floppy drives you have the driver without having
    to go through the process of manually slipstreaming it yourself.

    Robert McMillan, Mar 9, 2009
  16. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yep. A Dell badged WinXP Home/Pro Service Pack 3 CD wouldn't have the issue.

    That disc was the breakthrough for my ridding myself of the same STOP/BSODs
    when attempting to set up a RAID1......

    I had the SP3 slip-streaming information but had not made time to try it/use
    it.

    S.Lewis, Mar 9, 2009
  17. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica,

    That's an excellent suggestion from Robert. You could do a Repair Install
    with that CD.

    You may have the drivers installed now (download from Dell in the SATA
    drives section) and it's worth changing the BIOS to AHCI and see if the OS
    boots. If not change back to your current setting.

    http://supportapj.dell.com/support/...ystemID=VOS_D_420&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

    Brian K, Mar 9, 2009
  18. Monica

    Brian K Guest

  19. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Still wrong. Change it to WinXP.

    Brian K, Mar 9, 2009
  20. Monica

    Ben Myers Guest

    My rule of thumb has always been to get all the computer drivers
    installed before doing any updates. And that's why I use a USB thumb
    drive to install the drivers, usually downloaded onto my main system
    here. ;>) If you use a thumb drive (or even burn a CD) with all the
    drivers, the order of installation of drivers AFTER each chipset is
    unimportant. Also, once you have rebooted after installing the
    motherboard chipset drivers, you do not have to reboot after each and
    every subsequent driver install, despite messages nagging you to do so.
    This saves you time.

    Use the driver list at the referenced URL. If the Radeon 2400 Pro
    driver does not work for your just plain Radeon 2400 card, get the right
    driver from the AMD/ATI web site. The way that ATI has developed its
    drivers historically, the driver from the Dell web site is 90% probable
    to work... Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2009