    Like you, I may never use this in anger. But it's nice to know it's
    available. I'll bet Monica would be pleased if someone had done this on her
    new computer.

    Brian K, Mar 12, 2009

  2. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    Don't belittle your efforts, Brian. I think it's damned cool.
    Experimentation like this is a wonderful thing.

    And regarding Monica's deal; sure it's always a wonderful feeling when you
    can deliver to an end user the same desktop/apps/files/directories they know
    after a machine or hard disk replacement.

    But she's kind of put herself in a position now of having asked too many
    questions while getting too much information at once.

    I refer to this as "chasing one's own tail".

    I've been there myself.

    S.Lewis, Mar 12, 2009

  3. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're actually doing okay; just trying too much at once.

    You just need a WinXP SP2 disc and talk it through with a single person via
    email or the like.

    Further, LEAVE THE HARDWARE ALONE (ie- changing RAM and crap).

    And, as you've said, you could just go back to Vista. The machine can more
    than handle it.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 12, 2009
  4. Monica

    Monica Guest

    It's information overload alright and my processor isn't processing it all
    too well :eek: Until four or five years ago this would have been a welcomed
    challenge and one
    I would enjoyed meeting. MS (multiple sclerosis, not Microsoft) can do
    rude things to one's cognitive.
    I've been battling all day over the decision to just put Vista back on and
    get on with life, or try one more time with XP.
    I'm sorry about all the jumbled up threads, questions and replies. I guess
    it's just a reflection of how all this looks to my brain...a jumbled up mess
    <lol>
    Monica

    Monica, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica,

    When Vista was installed I think you had RAID/Auto/AHCI. Is that correct?
    That should be the one.

    Boot from the WinXP CD, almost immediately you will see a message at the
    bottom of the screen saying something like Press F6 to install drivers. So
    press F6 and wait. Shortly you will see a screen asking for drivers. Only
    then, insert the floppy. You only need to select a driver from the next
    screen but I don't know which is your one. Could someone advise?

    If you can "see" your HD after the CD loads, you know the drivers have been
    installed. Last time you got a BSOD.

    Brian K, Mar 12, 2009
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I really need an exact sequence of events if I'm going to give this one more
    try.
    I don't see SATA AHCI in the BIOS. Is that the same thing as RAID On?
    Provided it is...
    Put the XP SP 2 cd in the bootable optical drive
    Insert the floppy that those Matrix Storage device drivers (unzipped)
    Turn off the computer
    Turn it back on, hit F2 to enter the BIOS
    I make the change to RAID On, save and exit.
    I get a message saying to press any key to boot from the CD
    THEN WHAT? Is this when I hit the F6 key to load the storage device
    drivers?
    Will XP then continue reformat the drive and reinstall?

    Monica, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Monica

    Brian K Guest

    Monica,

    Get as far as that screen and let us know the choices.

    Brian K, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Monica

    Monica Guest

    "You only need to select a driver from the next screen but I don't know
    which is your one"

    Does anyone know? I'm ready to reinstall XP and add these Matrix Storage
    Drivers.
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Mar 13, 2009