    thanks
    Mark
    Toronto

    cstage, Sep 17, 2004

    C.Joseph Drayton, Sep 18, 2004

  3. cstage

    Quaoar Guest

    As the battery ages, the charge capacity declines, appearing finally at
    fully charge with a capacity too low to supply power. There is no fix
    except for a new battery. You should remove a dead battery unless you
    need it to couterweight the screen.

    Quaoar, Sep 18, 2004
  4. cstage

    mike Guest

    The lights on the battery show what the battery gauge chip tells them.
    If the chip is (too far) out of sync with the battery charge level, the
    system won't run.
    Sometimes there's a calibration routine that can fix that.

    You don't say what battery technology you have. Lithium Ion Batteries
    typically fail with high internal resistance. The charge is in there,
    you just can't get it out at a voltage that will run the computer.

    The battery lights will show there's full charge...and there is...but
    when you turn on the computer the internal resistance causes a voltage
    drop that the laptop interprets as a dead battery and shuts down.

    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

    mike, Sep 18, 2004
  5. cstage

    JJD Guest

    I have a similar problem with a Li-ION battery, but it is not the
    fault of the actual cells (as far as I can make out). The battery
    takes a full charge, which shows as such on both the on screen monitor
    and the LED gauge on the battery. However, when you run off battery
    it only lasts a few minutes and both the on screen monitor and the
    battery LEDs show that there is no charge.

    But, it doesn't end there. If I disable the alarm level shut-offs by
    taking them to zero in Power Management, the laptop will run for a
    full two hours with the gauges showing a red X on the battery symbol,
    1% remaining charge and no run time left.

    Any clues for that one?

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004
  6. cstage

    mike Guest

    Quoting from the top of this message:

    mike, Sep 19, 2004
  7. cstage

    JJD Guest

    Yeah, I tried the one from the Compaq site, but no fix. It worked on
    another laptop I have, but not this one.

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004
  8. cstage

    Quaoar Guest

    I've never tried this myself but have been interested in removing the
    battery devices from device manager and rebooting with the battery
    installed - perhaps resetting windows battery parameters in the process.

    Quaoar, Sep 21, 2004
  9. cstage

    JBW Guest

    But, it doesn't end there. If I disable the alarm level shut-offs by
    That's a good idea... turn off power mgt and see how long the batter
    _really_ lasts. I might try it sometime just to see how correct windows is
    in reading my Latitude D600's battery level. It last for three hours as it
    is, wonder if it'd go 3:30 if allowed to.

    JBW

    JBW, Sep 21, 2004
  10. But, it doesn't end there. If I disable the alarm level shut-offs by
    I had this issue with my Armada M300. The only fix I found was to open
    the battery, disconnect the cells from the controller board, and short
    out the points on the controller board where the cells connected (to
    fully discharge capacitors on the board). This resets the gas-gauge
    (it stores its running parameters in RAM, not EEPROM).

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 21, 2004