    as they are not over-engineered with funny buttons and special software.

    SO - suggestions for something used that would run Win 7 just fine ?
    Also - current models to look at ?

    ps56k, May 15, 2013

  2. ps56k

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Just about anything that had Vista originally will run Win 7
    well...with a bare-minimum of 2Gb and more preferred. W7 32-bit can
    only handle approx. 3Gb. IIRC
    (I put W7 on a Dell 8400 (circa '04) 3Ghz,3Gb,320SATA...and it runs
    very nicely!)

    Bob_Villa, May 15, 2013

  3. ps56k

    Ron Hardin Guest

    The Dell small business outlet store has lots of laptops with win7.

    They don't strike me as particularly cheap though.

    Prices seem to have gone up starting sometime last December, when there was a blowout
    sale on legacy stuff. About a 50% price/performance rise.

    Ron Hardin, May 15, 2013
  4. ps56k

    Larry Guest

    If you can wait until Windows 8.1 is released, you might be happier.
    Pundits are saying that the start button and Windows 7 like desktop
    might return.

    However according to this article, the release date for 8.1 might be
    later this year. Maybe a long wait, however.

    Larry

    Larry, May 15, 2013
  5. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    I picked up a Dell E6400 laptop from eBay - watched several...
    it is being shipped UPS... and is on it's way

    Dell Latitude E6400, Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHZ, 4gb Ram, 250GB HDD, Win 7 64-bit

    ps56k, May 28, 2013
  6. ps56k

    Bob_Villa Guest

    How much...if I could ask?

    Bob_Villa, May 28, 2013
  7. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    it was $220 total -
    A little more than the other E6400s I bid on,
    but looked good, and seller replied to a couple questions.... so, thought
    worth it - we'll see after it arrives -

    ps56k, May 29, 2013
  8. ps56k

    Ron Hardin Guest

    That's about half the price they were going for on the Outlet, at the end, as they unloaded the
    last of the core2-duos scratch'n'dent and refurbished.

    They have a 3 year warranty, probably, even from the outlet (unlike other models, the E6400 and
    E6500 get an extra two years).

    Ron Hardin, May 29, 2013
  9. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    All the other laptops in the house are the Dell C610s
    and have a more square screen vs the "wide screen" aspect ratio.
    Not sure I like the Wide version - but have had the others for years.

    The other thing, that I had forgot about,
    was some problem with "overheating"
    and the CPU getting throttled back...
    I seem to recall a big deal with Nvidia cards getting hot.

    ps56k, May 31, 2013
  10. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    We'll see how the E6400 Wide laptop grows on me...

    Just measured a couple laptops in the house...

    Dell E6400 - 14" diag - 12.00" W x 7.50" H (1.60)
    Dell C610 - 14" diag - 11.25" W x 8.75" H (1.28)
    Fujitsu T - 12" diag - 9.75" W x 7.25" H (1.34)

    HDTV - 40"diag - 35.00" W x 20.00" H (1.75)

    ps56k, May 31, 2013

  11. I substituted an SSD for the HDD in my XPS M1330 laptop, and
    now the cooling fan comes on less frequently, and the palm rest is
    a lot cooler.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 25, 2013