    install, occaisionally all other Dell supplied sw too. Its not that bad, HD
    swap, XP and driver install takes less than 1hr thanks to quick format.
    Frequently business customers use their own image, away in 10 mins!!

    Basill, Dec 15, 2005

  2. Basill

    D Guest

    Complete bullshit.

    The on-site tech does NOT install ANY software. Call Dell for help
    installing XP and everything else.

    At $8 a call you know where they can shove it regarding staying at a
    site for 3+ hours playing personal tech slave.

    D, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Basill

    Fixer Guest

    Thats not true at all. When you need a HDD replacement you are asked if you
    need help installing the O/S and drivers if you say yes the tech will
    install for you you may also REQUEST that he installs all DELL SUPPLIED
    software ie MS Works, MS Office, or anything else you ordered with the
    machine

    Fixer, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Basill

    S.Lewis Guest

    (snip)

    Unless they've changed SOP, the onsite guys only installed the hard drive.
    If they were generous, they'd sometimes begin the Windows install for
    someone or even fully install it to some degree, with or without drivers.

    Only exceptions I've ever read of to that were hard drives with the software
    pre-loaded where the tech might be expected to boot the system to desktop
    after the install.

    Of course, now with all of the onsite setup/service bundles they offer some
    of this might've changed.

    I was always told that the onsite guys did no software other than the
    occasional driver install for a newly replaced/installed device.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 16, 2005
  5. Basill

    Irene Guest

    Not true.

    Irene, Dec 16, 2005
  6. Basill

    Fixer Guest

    Fixer, Dec 16, 2005
  7. Basill

    Ben Myers Guest

    Eloquent... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 17, 2005
  8. Basill

    D Guest

    Quick format causes more problems than the traditional format. As a
    favor I used to start the thorough format, then tell the customer to
    call Dell once it was finished. We got an email from my boss's boss
    forbidding all of these activities; all we do is install the hard
    drive and make sure it's detected in the BIOS.

    Two days ago I had a very whiny customer on my cel phone. His wife
    allowed me to install the HD while he was at work talking to me on the
    cel phone. He kept me on a 3-way hold with Dell. When the technician
    answered, I expressly heard the phone tech say that I would install
    every piece of software the customer wanted, starting with XP.

    He didn't know I was listening, and I quickly gave him some choice
    words about what I thought of his policy. From his response he knew
    damn well he wasn't supposed to say that and knew he was caught
    red-handed. I was very very pissed off that my supervisor's boss said
    "no software" then Dell phone techs are telling the customer a
    different line. What a screwed up system.

    Dell wants their cake and eat it, too. They dont want to waste time
    imaging hard drives, but they also don't want to waste phone-tech time
    talking through the OS and software installation process. Now they're
    trying to schlep it off to the on-site tech? Four words: "not in my
    contract"...future contract? possibly. But I don't plan on staying
    around for Dell to shove its dick into BancTec's ass any further.

    D, Dec 17, 2005
  9. Basill

    Ben Myers Guest

    Sparkling imagery! ... Ben Myers