    and there is a visible fan and most of the time it doesn't spin.

    I think Dell needs to update the bios and turn on the fan more often
    because the bottom of the laptop gets very very hot at times.

    Newf !!!, May 25, 2006

  2. Newf !!!

    Jay B Guest

    my suggestion is to send it back, stop buying the lat620.
    move to the inspiron 6400 or m640
    runs cooler and much better. a much better/nicer machine.
    i used to me a big latitude seller, and i completely stopped because i'm
    disappointed in the whole line since the D series came out.

    Jay B, May 25, 2006

  3. Newf !!!

    S.Lewis Guest

    What BIOS version are you running? Latest I see over there is A02.

    S.Lewis, May 25, 2006
  4. Newf !!!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The answer is very simple: Intel Inside!

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 25, 2006
  5. Newf !!!

    journey Guest

    I agree with the comparison above. The nice thing I like about the
    D6xx is the modular bay. Battery life has always been a high priority
    for my notebook purchase which date back to the Inspiron 4000's, in
    which I could use two batteries. I loved that.

    The new 640 and 6400/E1505's have good battery life so that is now a
    non-issue for me (I don't know if the Truebrite or whatever it's
    called helps because it can be dimmed more -- could be an apples and
    oranges comparison though).

    All I know is from my experience and what I have heard in reviews. My
    D505 ran hot. I always liked it though because hot is not the same
    HOT as in the past, and I assumed that the P-M didn't need to run the
    fan as much and it was a whisper quiet machine. The guy I sold it to
    on ebay inspected it closer than I did and said it had heat damage and
    I would have accepted a return but I was able to send more stuff to
    make him happy. With all my ebay transactions I have talked to the
    person on the phone which has helped.

    But I digress (what's new). Advantage Latitude D610/620 -- modular
    bay, and isn't the SXGA resolution of the older one with a higher
    verticle resoluton? I think the new ones are wide, right? I'd rather
    have more verticle space than horizontal any day but that's a matter
    of preference. Usually I'm not working on side by side documents --
    I'd rather see more of a web page or spreadsheet or document
    vertically.

    If it were me, I'd stay away from the 620 and go with the excellent
    Inspiron line.

    Journey

    journey, May 26, 2006
  6. Newf !!!

    Newf !!! Guest

    just got some 820 in and they have the same problem. Just having it
    plugged in, and sitting on a desk and it gets REALLY REALLY hot on the
    bottom and sure enough, look at the fan on the bottom and it's not
    spinning

    Dell has a problem with the new dseries.

    Newf !!!, May 30, 2006
  7. Newf !!!

    Newf !!! Guest

    Newf !!!, May 30, 2006
  8. Dunno about the 620, but this doesn't find any fans on the Latitude
    D610.

    William P.N. Smith, May 30, 2006
  9. That's odd, it definitely works on mine; what BIOS are you running?
    I'll reboot to Windows later to check which version of i8kfan that I run.

    Nicholas Andrade, May 30, 2006
  10. Newf !!!

    journey Guest

    The previous models were very hot too.