Dell Latitude C600 harddrive light stays on constantly

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Etop Udoh, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. Etop Udoh

    Etop Udoh Guest

    I have a Dell Latitude C600 where the harddrive light stays on
    constantly. It doesn't even flicker.
    I was running dual batteries as well as a built-in mini-pci wireless
    card. OS is Win2k.

    Any ideas ?
    | Etop Udoh | Http://www.geocities.com/sdruid11 |
    | P.O. Box 1054| Http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/sdruid |
    |Snellville, Ga| Http://home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-sdruid |
    | 30078 | Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122 |
    |--------------| Http://home.earthlink.net/~sdruid11 |
    |BA in -> Computer Science / Tech. Management -> Devry University |
    | Comptia A+ Certified Comptia Net+ Certified |
    | | ||
    | !! ..........Peace and Love to All......... !! |

    Etop Udoh, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Etop Udoh

    S.Lewis Guest

    Can you F2 into BIOS? If so, do so and ALT+F to set defaults. Is the hard
    disk "seen" properly in BIOS? Should force an IDE re-detect upon exit.

    If that doesn't work, remove the 2nd battery from the media bay slot.

    If that doesn't work, remove the hard drive (batteries out, power
    disconnected) and re-seat it the hard disk.

    If that doesn't work, try running the CTL+ALT+D IDE diags at the Dell splash
    screen and see if the drive is

    That's all I got.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Etop Udoh

    S.Lewis Guest

    If that doesn't work, try running the CTL+ALT+D IDE diags at the Dell splash
    screen and see if the drive is identified properly and passes the short
    diag.

    You might also try CTL+ALT+E in BIOS in an attempt to clear the NVRAM.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Hi!

    First thing to do is make a backup of your data, if you have anything
    important on the system. Is the disk light on constantly even when the
    operating system isn't running...say you enter system setup at startup...is
    it still on?

    Secondly, how much memory do you have? Not enough and the system could be
    swapping all the time. You might also wish to look for a virus, malicious
    software or a program that's hitting the disk very hard and stops when you
    quit it.

    Third, run Dell diagnostics or query the drive for its SMART status using a
    tool like SpeedFan. If the drive reports bad SMART health or fails diags--do
    a backup right away!

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 19, 2007