    FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
    It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked for...

    Has anyone an idea, what happened?

    Michel Firholz, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Michel Firholz

    Tom Scales Guest

    When you see the Dell logo, press F2

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2005

  3. That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
    I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
    F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
    forward from the CD.

    Has anyone got a clue?

    Thanks
    Michel

    Michel Firholz, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Michel Firholz

    Fixer Guest

    Remove the CD then try

    Fixer, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Ooops! I made a typo, i wanted to write:
    F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
    forward from the **HD**.
    That is my problem, i cannot get it to boot from the CD, because i never can
    get into the BIOS!

    Michel Firholz, Mar 11, 2005
  6. You aren't using an external keyboard, are you?

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Michel Firholz

    WSZsr Guest

    Hold two or three keys down as you boot and keep them down until you get an
    error message.

    WSZsr, Mar 11, 2005
  8. No, just the plain notebook Keyboard...

    Michel Firholz, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Never had a laptop, Dell or otherwise, but DEL has always worked
    on every desktop I've ever had. You haven't included that in any
    of your lists. Failing that though, WSZsr's suggestion on
    forcing a keyboard error sounds worthy of a try.

    Ogden Johnson III, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Michel Firholz

    Notan Guest

    Have you run any diagnostics, to see if your F2 key is even working?

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 11, 2005
  11. Michel Firholz

    Fixer Guest

    "> That is my problem, i cannot get it to boot from the CD, because i never
    can
    If you want to Boot from the CD then hit F12 at the dell logo

    Fixer, Mar 11, 2005
  12. You don't mention which Latitude model, but every Dell I've had
    responds to F2 (not ctrl-F2) during the BIOS screen.

    Another poster suggested generating a keyboard error by holding down a
    few keys during power up. That might also work.

    If neither works, physically remove the hard drive (usually one
    screw needs to be removed, then slide out the hard drive), remove any
    floppy disk (_not_ the drive), any CD (_not_ the drive), then turn the
    power on.

    From whom did you purchase this laptop?

    Dale Dellutri, Mar 11, 2005
  13. unfortunately not mine. :-(
    I tried that, o just got a hoorible sequence of beeps and the laptop booted
    as usual... :-(
    finally that did help, thank you.
    The funny thing is that it has a french keyboard, the setup key is under F1
    maybe that's the thing.
    but never mind, i got into the BOIS and can boot from the CD now.
    Thak you everyone...

    Michel

    Michel Firholz, Mar 13, 2005