    message harddisk controller failure 0. It has a 2.1GB hdd. I have tried
    another Hdd but am still getting the same message. I have also updated
    the Bios to A12. Please help me.

    giga006, Nov 22, 2006

  2. giga006

    naboerne Guest

    You can expect a lot of trouble on such a 10 years old computer. Eternity does not apply
    to XPi CD, even if it was an excellent laptop. I had one for 8 years.

    naboerne, Nov 22, 2006

  3. if it is a defective controller then you are out of luck short of replacing
    the system board, but it is more likely a defective drive. what was the
    other hard disk that you tried? could you have connected this incorrectly?
    do you know it to have been a good working drive. did you remove the ac
    adapter and battery before inserting the drive?

    Christopher Muto, Nov 22, 2006
  4. giga006

    paulmd Guest

    Hard disk controller failure is pretty fatal for a laptop. With a
    desktop, there's either a spare, or you can get a controller card.

    Cheaper to buy a new laptop, than to replace the system board.

    If you just want to get your hands dirty, get 1 or 2 parts machines
    (same model as yours) off ebay, and you may be able to get one working.

    paulmd, Nov 23, 2006
  5. fyi, the motherboard seems to sell on ebay for as little as $20. at that
    price, and if you are comfortable with opening the laptop to install it then
    it is probably worth the small expense. if you need to pay someone to
    install it then you are better off looking at buying new. unfortunately
    dell does not list a service manual for these older machines on their site.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 23, 2006