Dell LCD Monitors Stuck in DVI Power Save Mode ... and Dell Doesn't Care.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Lisa Grecco, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Lisa Grecco

    Lisa Grecco Guest

    Dell LCD Monitors Stuck in DVI Power Save Mode and Dell Doesn't care
    for 6 Months.

    There is a MAJOR PROBLEM with dell Flat Panel Monitors.

    On November 1, 2003, this problem was brought to Dell's attention (6
    Months). Dell has not responded to any of the posts on the DELL
    FORUM. http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=33709

    Dell has told the press that the problem is fixed
    http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5170924.html?tag=nefd_top#yourtake

    DELL is being DECEITFUL and is outright Lying.

    Here is the problem…
    Computer is Dimension 4600 (brand new) with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    video card connected to 1800FP via DVI. The monitor will not come out
    of DVI Power Save Mode. Unplugged monitor from PC to reset to factory
    settings and perform diagnostics and still no video. Connected again
    using analog cable/ports and monitor does work in analog mode.

    DO NOT BUY A DELL FLAT PANEL DISPLAY UNTIL DELL FIXES THIS PROBLEM!

    Lisa Grecco, Apr 30, 2004

  2. This article:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4853511/

    says:

    "Carrie Hurt, president of the central Texas Better Business Bureau, says
    that Dell meets with her staff quarterly and works diligently to resolve
    complaints."

    This might offer the best avenue for resolution of your problem.

    General Patton, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Dell doesn't make LCD panels. They only sell them. Shouldn't you take your
    little campaign up with the manufacturer?

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, May 1, 2004
  4. Lisa Grecco

    yoda Guest

    yoda, May 1, 2004
  5. Lisa Grecco

    BigJIm Guest

    I believe that the monitor is like OEM and if dell sells it and warranty's
    it, it is a dell problem.

    BigJIm, May 1, 2004
  6. Lisa Grecco

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yeah, but they're Samsung. I recently bought (3) different 17" analog LCDs -
    1 Dell with a system and two Sonys.

    Both Sonys were perfect while the Dell had two dead pixels. Hardly a
    deal-breaker, but a mild disappointment.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 1, 2004
  7. Just out of curiosity, did you purchase through the Home or Business division?

    As we all know, a manufacturer's guarantee of 100% good pixels would drive up
    the price.

    I'm wondering if Dell, along with other "dealers," moves the not-so-perfect
    merchandise over to the Home divisions.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, May 1, 2004
  8. Lisa Grecco

    HH Guest

    I've been using an analog Samsung 171N for about 6 months now. No
    complaints.
    HH

    HH, May 1, 2004
  9. Lisa Grecco

    S.Lewis Guest

    Small business. Ironically, I purchased the Sonys from newegg.com and their
    policy is 8 dead pixels before they'll take one for exchange or return.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 1, 2004
  10. So much for my theory. :-(

    Thanks!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, May 1, 2004
  11. Lisa Grecco

    joe_tide Guest

    I have a 15" LiquidVideo annalog, a 17" LiquidVideo analog (CircuitCity's
    cheapo brand), and a 15" Rad 5 analog flat panel. No dead pixels on any of
    them. :p

    joe_tide, May 1, 2004
  12. Lisa Grecco

    HH Guest

    I also had a couple of Rad 5s. No dead ones there either, nor on my Cornea
    CT1503 LCD monitor/TV. Guess I've been lucky.
    HH

    HH, May 1, 2004
  13. Lisa Grecco

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Perhaps I'm superstitious, but every time I buy an LCD, I hold my breath out
    of fear for the pixel monster. I'm generally not overly picky, but if
    you're picking one up for someone else who IS, it's a different matter.

    I include a 5-minute pre-purchase dissertation on the potential of dead
    pixels just to cover myself, including "are you SURE you wouldn't just
    rather have a nice CRT?".

    Whatever works, Joe. The Sonys I picked up were actually less than the Dell
    at around $400 each. They were going into a heavily and newly decorated
    office and were going to be plainly visible by, uh, snooty clients :) Image,
    image, image.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 1, 2004
  14. Lisa Grecco

    Ayoros Guest

    I used to have an issue with my GX260 and a 1703FP :
    sometimes, monitor just did not switched on when booting.
    This was resolved by the GX260 Bios update.
    This was due to an error in the monitor's algorithm.
    And was solved by the GX260 bios...

    When you have issue with 2 items, the fault may not be on the one
    you think, and neither the solution.
    It is just a question of how things interact.

    I would not be surprised if this just happend with this precise monitor
    on this precise video card.

    Try to install the latest bios ? (from 02 april 2004)
    http://support.euro.dell.com/fr/fr/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R73666&sid=DIM_P4_4600&st=

    Ayoros, May 1, 2004
  15. Lisa Grecco

    spike Guest

    stupid response from a stupid squirrel! it's a dell lcd. aren't they
    responsible for what what they sell?

    spike, May 1, 2004
  16. Lisa Grecco

    joe_tide Guest

    I am no longer snooty. Heh heh

    joe_tide, May 1, 2004
  17. Lisa Grecco

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    You never were. But I'm sure you know some who are. heh.

    S.Lewis, May 1, 2004