Dell M1710 versus Alienware Aurora m9700- Help anyone?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Annie, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. Annie

    Annie Guest

    Hi all,

    I need some advice as I can operate a computer reasonably well but when it
    comes to understanding particular components and their speed, and the
    technical hardware ins and outs, I have to look to somebody that is more
    knowledgeable than myself.

    I was looking at the Dell M1710 but I can't see myself using the 1900 native
    resolution for various reasons. I've come across the Alienware mentioned in
    the subject line and see I can get a 17" with a 1400 res. I know the
    picture won't be as sharp, etc, but my question is more speed related...will
    this computer be able to handle games such as Oblivion or The Sims 2 with
    relative ease? The product detail is as follows:

    [1] AuroraT m9700

    Processor: AMD TurionT 64 Mobile ML37 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2
    Cache
    Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine
    Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 - Without Remote Control or TV Tuner
    Chassis: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD with Clearview Technology -
    Saucer Silver
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 80GB Serial ATA
    1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
    Optical Drive: 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW w/ Nero Software
    Video/Graphics Card: Dual 256MB NVidia® GeForceT Go 7900 GS -
    SLI Enabled
    Wireless Network Card: Internal 802.11b/g WiFi Card

    Aside from Alien not offering bluetooth, how comparable are the
    offerings between these two? Especially speed-wise?

    Thanks ever so much for any help or advice!

    --Annie

    Annie, Jun 13, 2007