Dell Memory - Quirky slots and such? Anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by pattyjamas, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    So I got a refurb Dell and it had bad memory. Went to Compusa who
    verified mem was bad. I bought and put in new memory - all is fine.

    So finally got Dell memory in the mail. Put it in and get beep codes
    with no boot screen.

    Okay, so I take the Dell DDR2 memory out and it boots okay.

    I put one stick in (now 3 sticks in ) and it boots fine. I add 4th
    stick (power off and unplugged of course) and get beep codes again. No
    boot.

    So I screw around again and finally all beep codes go away and things
    seem okay.

    Are these machines that freakin touchy or is it just this Dimension
    8400? Jeeesh

    DO not ask what happened when I enabled hyperthreading in the BIOS even
    though there is one physical processor. WOuld not boot at all. Had to
    completely clear BIOS. Man oh man.... What a mistake of a
    machine.........Proved my own point.

    Patty.

    pattyjamas, Apr 8, 2005

  2. pattyjamas

    Ben Myers Guest

    Did you read the specs for the memory setup of the 8400? Does it require
    matched pairs of DDR2 memory? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 8, 2005

  3. I've had several instances of memory that Dell sent me for a repair
    being defective. I dunno if they don't bother to test them before
    shipping them off to the next sucker, or if they have {no idea how to
    run their} defective memory tester, but I'm not impressed. I almost
    drilled a hole through the last set of bad memory they sent me, but
    didn't want to get into a pissing contest with an 800-pound gorilla.

    William P. N. Smith, Apr 8, 2005
  4. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    Yes they like a matched pair. And William you are right, I think they
    buy memory from some guy in a back alley who cannot spell "memory".

    Patty

    pattyjamas, Apr 8, 2005
  5. pattyjamas

    Fixer Guest

    Yes they do require a matched pair and of course you took Anti Static
    precations when handling them , didn't you ?

    Fixer, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Actually they don't.
    Of course

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  7. pattyjamas

    Fixer Guest

    Dell will always replace as a matched pair

    Fixer, Apr 9, 2005
  8. That's a different matter.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  9. pattyjamas

    Jere39 Guest

    I too recently purchased a refurb Dimension 8400, with 1G memory. When
    I was not as impressed as I had hoped with performance, I checked and
    discovered it was only recognizing 512M ram. When I opened the case i
    discovered Dell sent it to me with two 512M memory but they were not
    installed in correctly paired slots. I move the second one to a proper
    paired slot and restarted and everything ran fine. Now how did that
    escape the Dell QC team?

    I do run hyperthreading on, but I have never turned it off to do any
    sort of comparison.

    Jere39, Apr 10, 2005
  10. Indeed they will. This is a good thing, because when one of your
    matched pair is bad and one of the matched pair they sent you is bad,
    you can mix and match and get one good pair and send them one
    completely defective pair.

    Wonder if that's how they have so much dead stuff in their inventory.
    [Test these memories, knowing that one of the two sticks is bad. If
    you find the one bad one, immediately put the other one into the
    "known good" pile...]

    I have to wonder if Dell is using antistatic precautions.

    William P. N. Smith, Apr 10, 2005