    2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
    3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes sense
    to have a bunch of logical drives.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Howard Kaikow

    gringo Guest

    1. no
    2. OS on a CD
    3. 1 partition. You'll have to rebuild PC yourself to make multiple partions
    or use something like partion magic.

    gringo, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Howard Kaikow

    Henning Guest

    Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.

    Henning, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Howard Kaikow

    Jerry Park Guest

    It can, of course, be removed.

    Jerry Park, Nov 4, 2004
  6. it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration tool
    often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or no
    cd). choose which you want.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Almy Guest

    From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
    and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
    employee and moderator "Samantha":

    "With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:

    "Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
    installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
    also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
    Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.

    "OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
    application

    "Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
    application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
    support.dell.com

    "Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
    directly from vendor websites at no charge."

    However "ChrisM" adds:

    "Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
    CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."

    Tom Almy, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Not without voiding the warranty.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Good, but is that a true OS CD or a mere "recovery" CD?

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004
  10. Given how inexpensive it is to produce a CD, don't understand why they just
    do not include a CD with each notebook.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004
  11. Howard Kaikow

    Eugene Guest

    1. Depends on the model, I've seen a hidden partition on the drive in some
    of the Inspirons, its separate from the C drive.
    2. Depends on the model, I've seen both
    3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive with
    a modern OS.

    Eugene, Nov 4, 2004
  12. it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
    means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
    which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it has a
    modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks to
    the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
    dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is not
    a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go through
    the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
    i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit the
    registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
    original source code is required when updating anything in the future. you
    may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and this
    is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these are
    separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
    particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of what
    will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2004
  13. this is not a dell specific issue. dell is simply conforming to the desires
    of microsoft who is doing everything they can to reduce piracy.
    unfortunately it means extra inconvenience to honest folk that are
    unfortunate enough to encounter a problem and need to restore their systems.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2004
  14. That's what I mean by a true OS CD.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004
  15. systems.

    I realize it's a MSFT caused problem, but it's easier to shoot the messenger
    than a gorilla.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004
  16. what is? there is no such thing manufactured by microsoft called a "true
    cd." there is the full retail version, oem versions. the full retail
    version costs at least double of the oem version but the oem version is only
    available along with the purchase of hardware. the oem versions supplied by
    dell is better than the full retail version with respect to software
    activation. the full retail version is better than the oem version if you
    like to own a big box with colorful pictures on it and a place for the cd to
    rattle around. the oem version supplied by dell is not some sort of restore
    disc that returns your pc to the original factory image with all its dated
    drivers and software. that's the best i can do to explain the differences.
    if this doesn't make sense then you should probably rephrase your question
    to be more specific about exactly you want to know.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2004
  17. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also just
    wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
    partition.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2004
  18. Howard Kaikow

    Jerry Park Guest

    Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
    install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.

    Jerry Park, Nov 5, 2004
  19. All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.
    There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer shipping
    the media - just the restore partition.
    sense

    One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
    Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.

    Edward J. Neth, Nov 5, 2004
  20. I meant to say, one risks loss of support.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004