Dell notebooks

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. I meant to refer to possible loss of support.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004

  2. To me a full OS CD is a CD that has all the OS software and drivers that
    would enable me to rebuild the system any way I choose, not just recover to
    a fixed state.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Yes it does, but a discussion of the merits is not the subject of my query.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  4. I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
    Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    Even that, they don't care. They just have you boot from the Resource disk
    to access the same utilities.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    Then Dell ships full OS CDs by your definition.

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    No. It can be removed by deleting all partitions and reinstalling
    everything.

    But why? It's just an original image and is pretty darn handy.

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2004
  8. Howard Kaikow

    Jerry Park Guest

    True enouth. But since I can run the diagnostics from the CD, I don't
    really need the partition even for support.

    Jerry Park, Nov 5, 2004
  9. That is one advantage of having a recovery CD.
    Did not know that you could actually run from the critter.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  10. I do not want OEM Symantec software.
    I ASSuME that the partition includes stuff other than NAV.
    I don't want anything else.
    I run Norton Utilities from the installation CD (retail version), don't need
    any crud running in the background.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  11. Howard Kaikow

    Eugene Guest

    Actaully is doesn't, NTFS and any of the modern Linux file systems work just
    as well on a large drive.

    Eugene, Nov 5, 2004
  12. Howard Kaikow

    Andrew Krieg Guest

    Ahhhh, there is where my missing hard drive space is! What does this
    Symantec partition do? I probably won't keep the Symantec software
    after the 3 month free period. Does the Symantec software require this
    partition to run, or can I remove it now?

    Andrew Krieg, Nov 5, 2004
  13. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    I think you're misunderstanding what is in the partition. It doesn't have
    anything to do with NAV. It's a 'lite' version of Ghost. It has the ENTIRE
    image of your hard drive, just as it came out of the box, including the OS,
    applications, etc. It is VERY handy if you need to do a reinstall.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2004
  14. Then it should not be called a "Symantec partition".

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  15. Elsewhere in this thread, I sufferred the same confusion. Somwbody stated
    that it is really a "recovery partition" that has an image to restore the
    hard drive as out of the box.

    That facilitates tech support screwing the naive user by telling them to go
    back to ground zero, instead of actually trying to figure out the problem.
    Such a drastic action should be a last resort, alas, from stories I hear,
    that request is all too common.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 5, 2004
  16. Howard Kaikow

    Sparky Guest

    Huh? Would "grilled cheese" partition be better? Ghost is a Symantec
    product.

    Sparky, Nov 5, 2004
  17. Howard Kaikow

    WSZsr Guest

    If 95% of users weren't computer/software challenged, it wouldn't be
    required. The vast majority of problems are created by the user and tech
    support often can't figure out how the user screwed it up. Since software
    support is largely fee based now, it is to the advantage of the user to have
    that option (software restore image).

    WSZsr, Nov 5, 2004
  18. Howard Kaikow

    CS Student Guest

    Man, I should have kept reading other threads. Well, I ended up providing
    you with information in your own thread.

    CS Student, Nov 6, 2004
  19. Howard Kaikow

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, it's not by me. I'm not sure why the original user chose that term.
    It's not descriptive.

    Tom Scales, Nov 6, 2004
  20. No, grilled cheese is too fattening.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 6, 2004