Dell officially starts removing crapware from its PCs

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Hank Arnold, Jul 13, 2007.

  1. Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold Guest

  2. Hank Arnold

    RnR Guest

    That's good news Hank and thanks for sharing it. It sounds like Dell
    is finally beginning to address some of the major complaints that have
    been mentioned in this newsgroup many times. I applaud Michael Dell
    for what I perceive as Dell's move in the right direction (vs. where
    they were going).

    Seriously I think it would do Dell Computers more good if Michael Dell
    "himself" read this newsgroup (not one of his employees) so he could
    get it directly from the source and could get an idea of the good and
    bad from the perspective of more experienced Dell end users. Of
    course he'd have to weed thru some whiners and moaners in here but
    overall I think most of us have valid concerns/issues with Dell
    products. If he made the time to do this, I believe it would aid him
    in moving Dell in the positive direction.

    On the lighter side, does anyone have Michael Dell's email address?
    I'd be glad to be a spokesperson for this group and speak to him
    personally since I'll be visiting Austin more often soon.

    Thanks again Hank for the info !!

    RnR, Jul 13, 2007

  3. Hank Arnold

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Hank Arnold

    Ben Myers Guest

    Your best bet is to try to contact Michael through one of the PR flacks who runs
    interference for Dell, keeping away all us unwashed. Sort of like Tony Snow
    does nowadays for Pres. Bush. Make sure you have a well-prepared and very
    articulate spiel... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 13, 2007
  5. Hank Arnold

    RnR Guest

    Nah, I like to shoot from the hip ... raw and unedited (polite and
    sincere tho). Believe or not, I tend to do better that way. And if
    Michael Dell can't speak with me, his loss. I'm not going waste a lot
    of my time getting by his droids because putting this into
    perspective, I stand to make nothing (nor do I want anything except to
    help him for free) and he stands to make a lot. If he doesn't care to
    speak with me, no problem and if he does, he knows where to find me.
    And I'm not that far from him even when I'm not in Austin <g>.

    Thanks Ben for your advice.

    RnR, Jul 13, 2007
  6. Hank Arnold

    Journey Guest

    Chances are slim that you'd ever be able to talk to Michael Dell, but
    it doesn't hurt to try.

    Back around 97 or 98 I had a bad experience with Micron Computer. At
    that time it was up there with Dell and Gateway as far as a mail-order
    computer provider.

    They mischarged me by $500, and I had extremely rude treatment by
    several employees. Of course, I was persistent because I had to be in
    order to be charged the right price and get my $500 back.

    After a certain point I insisted that I talk to the president of
    Micron. I think his name was Joel Kocher or something similar to
    that. I was able to -- he set up a conference call, and on his end
    were all the people who had given me terrible service. He asked me to
    explain what I went through and how it affected me.

    That was cool, and I took the opportunity to ask for a free PC for all
    my troubles. No go, but it never hurts to ask.

    I tried to escalate high at Dell and the furthest I got was a VP in
    the business division. That was way back when the Inspiron 4000's
    were out.

    I was able to get transferred to Dell's Special Situations area. Dell
    frequently has given freebies to people who have gone through a Dell
    Hell experience.

    Journey, Jul 13, 2007
  7. Hank Arnold

    RnR Guest

    Thanks Journey for posting your interesting experiences.

    I'm not holding my breath that I'll speak to Michael Dell since I'm
    not bothering to even try to call him. Email works for me anyway.

    RnR, Jul 13, 2007
  8. Hank Arnold

    alien Guest

    So you DID get your $500 back, right? Around 1994 I think it was, Circuit
    City ripped me off charging me a 20% restocking fee on a defective Compaq
    desktop computer. $400. Never been back since and neither have quite a few
    friends and co-workers. I like to think that $400 mistake had an impact on
    their sales the last 13 years!

    alien

    alien, Jul 13, 2007
  9. Hank Arnold

    Journey Guest

    Yes, I did get the $500 back. In addition he gave me $500 off a new
    system, which was at that time a Pentium III 500Mhz.

    I try not to buy from a store that has a restocking fee. For a while
    Comp USA did and I would only buy from them if I could get a manager
    to write on the purchase receipt that I could return it and have the
    restocking fee waived.

    I buy a lot of stuff through Amazon, and it's more of a hassle to
    return things through them so I try to make sure I know that I will
    keep the product before ordering.

    I have returned some items to Circuit City without a restocking fee so
    they may have changed their policy or maybe I didn't buy from a
    category that has a restocking fee. I like that they can pull up a
    customer's receipt electronically so that I don't have to find it. I
    usually go to Best Buy over Circuit City though.

    Journey, Jul 14, 2007
  10. Hank Arnold

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    Paul Knudsen, Aug 11, 2007
  11. Hank Arnold

    robertharvey Guest

    On this side of the Pond only the most ruthless would try to get away
    with a "restocking" fee for a defective item. The courts would be on
    them like wolves. The "Sale of goods act" implies various
    responsibilities based on the the need to be fit for the purpose
    advertised or agreed at point of sale. People have used it to get
    settlement on complete failures just outside the warranty period, for
    example. "restocking" an item known to be defective would be regarded
    as conspiracy to defraud the next customer.

    We have a number of less than satisfactory main-store retailers, such
    as PC world and Curry, but the problems largely lie in illusory
    pricing and poor point-fo-sales experience, and once a case is made
    for after-care most are very responsible indeed. There are tales of
    people being fobbed off instead of faults being acknowledged, but that
    happens all over the world. The best computer retailer I have ever
    used is the John Lewis department store. Throughout the store they
    advertise "Never knowingly undersold" and will match magazine advert
    prices for anything stocked. I got 2 years hotline support, not just
    for the hardware but for /any/ software I installed on it, last time I
    bought from them.

    I'd like to put in a positive plug for some of our online retails:
    www.scan.co.uk, www.cclonline.com www.overclockers.co.uk, www.novatech.co.uk,
    www.mini-itx.com, www.linitx.com, have all been very straightforward
    in customer dealings. When I got sent abroad for a month and a
    delivery from Scan could not be made it was automatically returned to
    them by the couriers, and Scan refunded the whole amount, including
    carriage, to me as a matter of course without me contacting them.
    Novatech will sell you a flaptop with no OS installed if you want to
    avoid the windows tax, and Overclockers looked me up in the phone book
    to call me and say that they had found a problem in the motherboard/
    graphics card combo I had ordered, and did I want to change the order.

    robertharvey, Aug 11, 2007
  12. Erm, no they won't.

    Are you really from "this side" of the pond? Your comments make me
    doubt it.

    How would the courts "be on them like wolves"? You're not referring
    to intervention by Trading Standards Officers are you?

    Trading Standards are generally regarded as being worse than useless,
    particularly since it all got revamped and "Consumer Direct" got
    involved. You might as well stand in a hurricane and take a piss for
    all the good it will do you - Trading Standards simply can't be
    bothered.

    Ever heard of the phrase "rip-off Britain"? Seeing as you're posting
    to a Dell newsgroup, go to Dell's USA site and price a
    pc.............then price the same spec pc on Dell's UK site and
    compare.

    The aforesaid phrase wouldn't exist if our consumer protection laws
    were as stringent as you seem to believe.

    chuckles_the_scary_clown, Aug 12, 2007