  1. Wayne Day

    Wayne Day Guest

    I want the number YOU dialed!!!! :>

    Wayne Day, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Wayne Day

    paulmd Guest

    I had a similar headache getting Dell to replace a perfectly obviously
    bad hard drive. I was eventually able to get them to send me the part.
    God, am i glad i didn't need, or want an on site tech. Replacing the
    hard drive took only a few minutes. Time on phone with Dell was well
    over an hour, and like you, they told me that the "operating system had
    gone bad" which was BS, and to reformat and reinstall, and they
    stupidly insisted on this even AFTER we did the dell diagnostic stuff
    over the phone. If i was a computer illiterate, instead of a guy who
    actually gets paid to fix computers, they might have avoided replacing
    the drive by the time the warrenty ran out. They did do a followup
    phonecall to make sure everything went ok, which was sweet of them.

    paulmd, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Wayne Day

    Monica Guest

    If you know how to work with the script readers you can get things done
    quickly.<<

    I haven't had the need to use Dell tech support in a very LONG time (thank
    goodness and alt.sys.pc-clone.dell) but, I would gladly pay for the
    knowledge of "how to work around the script readers" :)

    Monica, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Wayne Day

    Notan Guest

    If you purchase Gold Tech Support, you're automatically routed past the script
    readers.

    Notan

    Notan, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Wayne Day

    Monica Guest

    And I've got to pay for that advice?? <lol> Oh well, like I said, I rarely
    have a use for tech support so I didn't purchase Gold TS (as far as I know).
    I did purchase an extended warranty policy for it's hardware replacement
    value only. However, that was based on TS from my Dell purchase in 2000.
    Sounds like TS hasn't *improved* with time :eek:

    Monica, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Wayne Day

    Notan Guest

    With the advent of the $299 system, decent tech support is now an option.

    Notan

    Notan, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Wayne Day

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    May not get around them entirely, but you can make life easier by going here
    (provided you have an operational PC to do so at the time):

    http://support.dell.com/support/top...t/chat/en/hardware_chat?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    S.Lewis, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Wayne Day

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, even at Gold level, you still have to go through everything
    several times, and while most of them speak english, you still have to
    play the game to get through the process quickly.

    Leythos, Oct 30, 2006
  9. Wayne Day

    Notan Guest

    I've always immediately connected with a US-based (usually Texas) tech,
    and skipped all the "Have you tried... ?" stuff.

    Notan

    Notan, Oct 30, 2006
  10. Wayne Day

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've managed to avoid most of the "have you tried" by beginning the call by
    telling the tech what I believe is wrong and then asking them if I may tell
    them what I've attempted to correct the problem or what diag error message I
    received to conclude I needed a part.

    I've not been refused yet in that request. A specific dell diag error
    message (when you can provide one) will absolutely speed the process.

    Gold support has been excellent.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Wayne Day

    Wayne Day Guest

    I tried that and they still told us it was a software problem, and to
    go through the entire process on the phone, only to discover the same
    thing.

    Wayne Day, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Wayne Day

    Notan Guest

    You must've opted for the 14K Gold Tech Support... I went for the 24K! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Wayne Day

    MichaelBB Guest

    Thats a crock of shit , you have to drive, I am not saying your lying
    about Dell telling you that but I live in Albany NY and the techs all
    pick there stuff up at DHL every morning and than they sit around and
    tell there stories about users and computers and than drive to all the
    locations for repairs, which include in to the adirondack mountains
    where there isnt DSL or Cable and the people use dialup and dont see
    there neighbors for days..

    MichaelBB, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Wayne Day

    Wayne Day Guest

    I always thought "on-site" service meant they come to you. When I
    worked as a service manager and we serviced IBM Compaq and HP "back in
    the day," on site meant you go to the computer. IBM even had a SAME
    DAY parts service. And woe be unto you if a customer called into IBM
    and told them they thought your service was below par- IBM would call
    us and get it straightened out like RIGHT NOW.

    I guess "those were the days."

    Wayne Day, Oct 31, 2006
  15. Wayne Day

    blah Guest

    And you get the exact same on-site tech, getting the exact same
    reibursement as a normal warranty repair. He just puts your number
    behind everyone else.

    Dan

    blah, Nov 4, 2006
  16. Wayne Day

    DawgFan1785 Guest

    When my Gateway drive was replaced. They sent it to me. I hooked it up
    turned the computer on and it started loading Windows XP Home without
    the XP CD. I thought that was wierd. But there is a certian way they
    do that i found out how. Im not telling :D Anyway i had the
    motherboard replaced. I backed up everything important thinking i may
    have to format i knew i was going to have to do a repair. Guess what.
    I put the board in it booted without a repair install or a format. Is
    it the same with Dell's?

    DawgFan1785, Nov 6, 2006
  17. Wayne Day

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yep. Should be.

    That was nice of Gateway to send you a pre-imaged hard drive. I've heard of
    Dell doing the same thing in special cases.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 6, 2006
  18. Wayne Day

    DawgFan1785 Guest

    S.Lewiswrote:
    Yep. Should be.

    That was nice of Gateway to send you a pre-imaged hard drive. I've
    heard of
    Dell doing the same thing in special cases.

    Stew[/quote:eceae0c180]

    Yes it was but i use XP Pro not XP Home.

    DawgFan1785, Nov 7, 2006
  19. Wayne Day

    S.Lewis Guest

    Then they owe you about $60.