    Anybody know where to find one of these? I didn't see anything in Dell's
    accessories web site. Or, does anyone have one they'd sell?

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 5, 2006

  2. William R. Walsh

    Tom Scales Guest

    Call Dell and ask for parts. They'll sell you the kit including the floppy.

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2006

  3. William R. Walsh

    S.Lewis Guest

    (snip)

    What Tom said. That unit takes a floppy kit that includes the drive, drive
    cage, and ribbon cable. You then just have to remove the plastic blank from
    the front bezel.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 5, 2006
  4. that said, unless you intend to regularly use the internally installed
    floppy drive you may well be better off buying a external usb type drive
    that you can move from system to system. it is very common to find new
    systems without floppy drives today and so the external drive may prove
    useful to you.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821118001

    Christopher Muto, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Hi!
    I've got one, and I do use it. Most of the time it's plugged into a
    Macintosh of some kind. It has been worth the purchase cost.
    Yeah, I know. Whenever I order or buy a system, I *insist* that a floppy
    drive be preinstalled. (Both my Dimension 8300 and Latitude D800 have an
    internal drive.)

    In any event, floppies still have a tremendous amount of use to me, because
    they are the one thing that all my systems can use. (See the signature on
    the initial posting...I collect and actively use those PS/2s and they don't
    do USB. All have NICs, but sometimes that isn't the easiest way to transfer
    information. Most of them do support 2.88 floppies, but that's another deal
    entirely...) That's the "why" of why I want an internal floppy.

    But I digress...anyone have a phone number they'd recommend (in the US) to
    get to the Dell parts department or would any old Dell phone number do?

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 6, 2006
  6. William R. Walsh

    Pen Guest

    I don't have the phone number, but this web site has been posted here;
    You want Dell Spare Parts Sales, and you can find them here:
    http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/us/program/T1421000.ASP

    Also some have recommended this site, but I have no personal
    experience with it.
    http://www.centrix-intl.com/

    Pen, Feb 6, 2006
  7. William R. Walsh

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Holy museum piece, Batman!!! They *were* solid machines..... Congrats....

    Hank Arnold, Feb 6, 2006
  8. William R. Walsh

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Get an external USB drive.......