    the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
    I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    , Feb 12, 2012

  2. Bob_Villa Guest

    You say "boots up on its own" and then refer to "wake this
    machine"...is it off or in sleep? There is "wake on LAN" in your
    network adapter settings.

    Bob_Villa, Feb 12, 2012

  3. Larry Guest

    A long shot suggestion...but I have a laptop that would turn itself on
    when I first purchased it. Dell tech was no help but found the
    solution when I googled a description of the problem. My problem was
    solved by unchecking box next to the "Allow this device to wake the
    computer" under the Power Management tab in the WLAN Mini Card
    Properties.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 12, 2012
  4. Larry Guest

    He said he had to disconnect the power cord so it sounds like it the
    computer would power up on its own from a complete shut down. That is
    exactly what happened in my case. Before I found the solution for my
    laptop I had to disconnect the power cord and remove the battery so
    the laptop would not start up on its own.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 12, 2012
  5. Bob_Villa Guest

    Never heard of that from a total shut-down!?!

    Bob_Villa, Feb 12, 2012
  6. Guest

    I tried that "Allow this device to wake the
    computer" a few days ago. Also tried unhooking my LAN ethernet cable.
    Didn't make any difference.
    I'm sorry I was not clear. The computer wakes from total shutdown. I
    never had this problem before. It used to boot for a few seconds every
    10 or 15 minutes, then shut down. Now, all by itself, it boots 2 or 3
    times,for a few seconds, with these numbers on the front panel lit:
    1,3,4, and the HDD. Then it turns itself off. A few minutes later it
    boots up by itself and is running. When it is on, everything seems to
    be working fine.
    Maybe a corrupted BIOS? I'll try flashing it. I can't think of
    anything else.

    , Feb 12, 2012
  7. Larry Guest

    I know...it was weird! I wondered why that capability would be there
    in the first place, let alone have it be the default setting from the
    factory.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 12, 2012
  8. Guest

    It appears that the BIOS flash did the trick. I don't know why I
    didn't think of it sooner. The machine also appears to be running
    faster, although I have not clocked anything.
    It sat without booting for an hour, which it hasn't done for a week,
    so maybe I got lucky. Thanks.

    , Feb 12, 2012
  9. Larry Guest

    Thanks for reporting back!

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 12, 2012
  10. Bob_Villa Guest

    Wow, Great work! Ya, thanks for letting us know!

    Bob_Villa, Feb 12, 2012
  11. Hi!
    If this ever happens again, try clearing the CMOS RAM. I believe that all of
    Dell's BIOS flash tools do this as a matter of course.

    It can be done by unplugging the system and removing the coin cell battery
    from the motherboard, by way of a jumper or in the SETUP utility itself.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 15, 2012
  12. Guest

    That worked! It was starting some unusual behavior again. I took the
    battery out, replaced it and set the computer clock, and it is working
    perfectly.

    Thank you very much!

    , Feb 17, 2012
  13. CarlH

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just got a refurb OptiPlex 755 that's doing the exact same behavior. From a fully powered-off state, it powers on for 5-7 seconds and then turns off. It does this about every 1/2 hour or so. Checked the motherboard for bad caps, saw nothing obvious. Updated the BIOS from A14 to Dell's latest A19, no change. Disabled all wake options in the BIOS. Looks like I'll have to push for a warranty replacement under the very short refurb warranty unless anyone has any ideas.

    EDIT: Just noticed the bit about pulling the CMOS battery - did that, made sure all self-turn-on options were off, and it's still exhibiting this behavior.

    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    CarlH, Sep 17, 2013
  14. michaelkadar

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    dell 3 second power cycle when off

    I think I solved the Dell 755 three second turn on then off every 5 minutes or so.
    It seem even with the Nic auto remote wake up off (factory default) there is an on board Nic enable on when shut down (also factory default) in the power saving section. Set the Nic enable to off.

    michaelkadar, Dec 21, 2013