    save at least a hundred bucks, but it looks like they've priced themselves
    out of the market (for me at least).

    Anybody have any insight as to why?

    Paul, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Paul

    ricardo Guest

    Less overheads!!

    ricardo, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Paul

    Cyclops Guest

    Cyclops, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Paul

    hummer Guest

    because unsuspecting buyers would think an "outlet" would offer lower prices
    and not check around.

    you mistake dell for a well organized company. dell is so screwed up as a
    company that the outlet store, peripherals and outlet divisions don't know
    or care what the other does or what its pricing is. they might as well be
    seperate companies.

    dell has a reputation for screwing its customers so just add this one to the
    long list of ways it does it.

    hummer, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Paul

    Ben Myers Guest

    And substitute any other brand name for dell. Does anybody know of a name-brand
    computer company that gives any respect to its consumer customers?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Paul

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's just ridiculous. Sometimes the sales on new equipment make them
    cheaper than refurbs. Often older generation equipment is high at the
    outlet, because it was high when it was new.

    Does Dell come to your house and force you to buy from the outlet? If not,
    why do you care.

    Of course, it's hard to respect someone that thinks a Hummer is appropriate
    transportation. They make me laugh out loud every time I see a soccer mom
    driving one.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Paul

    hummer Guest

    Then don't call it an "outlet". Call it what it is, "Dell Overpriced
    Returned Krap". It is a new website opportunity... www.dell.DORK.com
    Of course, that wouldn't lead to many sales to unsuspecting buyers.

    Sounds like you'd be a frequent Dell DORK customer!

    BTW, I've picked things bigger than you out of my front grille! What kinda
    girly man car you drivin'? A pink Probe? hahaha...

    hummer, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Paul

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, like a 12 year old owns a Hummer.....

    Tom Scales, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Paul

    Ben Myers Guest

    Methinks he doth protest too much. About Hummers, that is. Dell computers,
    too, when you think about it. "Let the buyer beware." Translation: Shop around
    before buying... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Paul

    Cyclops Guest

    Cyclops, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Paul

    Cyclops Guest

    Cyclops, Dec 31, 2004
  12. Paul

    Cyclops Guest

    Cyclops, Dec 31, 2004
  13. Hummer obviously flunked Econ 101, or he'd know a) how "outlet"
    systems work [I'd be willing to bet that the Dell "outlet" on
    E-bay has no connection, other than a license to bid on and sell
    surplus Dell computers, with Dell itself] and b) the laws of
    supply and demand and buy low sell high.

    As an outlet, they operate on supply and demand. Obviously, they
    guessed wrong when the bid on the computers Hummer was looking
    at, and can't afford the loss they'd have to take trying to match
    a current deal Dell itself is offering.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 1, 2005
  14. Ogden,
    Actually I got this Dim 8400 on eBay. It was through a re-seller. Brand
    new sealed in the box and $400 cheaper than anything I could price through
    the Dell site, including the large business section where I can go as an
    employee of Ford's. It's even warranted through Dell. The only thing I can
    figure is that it has the 3.0 processor which I don't see offered on the
    8400 anymore. Just don't ask about the clone I bought on eBay from Dollar
    Computers, I should have had my head examined to buy from this company, the
    name says it all.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 1, 2005
  15. Paul

    Ben Myers Guest

    Let me guess. PCChips motherboard with integrated SiS graphics. Computer case
    made of metal scarcely thicker than aluminum foil. Totally unknown brand of
    CD/DVD device. Dollar keyboard and mouse. Samsung hard drive. Memory produced
    at a factory in Outer Mongolia. A CPU is a CPU is a CPU, altho some are faster
    than others.

    TigerDirect has long sold this sort of schlock. I end up "repairing" them by
    replacing the motherboard, adding a graphics card if required, replacing
    whatever else is chintzy and likely to break, then readjusting Windows to see
    all the replaced hardware. This usually happens when there is a catastrophic
    hardware failure after a year or 18 months. Most often, a fan inside the case
    stops turning, the resulting high termperature fries something inside.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 1, 2005
  16. I hadn't intended to write a textbook, just to make a general
    comment. Whatever the relationship between an E-Bay or other
    venue outlet center with Dell, they will operate as an
    independent profit center. Buying Dell's surplus, generally I
    suspect on bids themselves, for $X, hoping to be able to sell
    them for at least $Y, and thus making up to $Z net profit before
    expenses.

    Under the law of supply and demand, if Dell itself is able to
    sell a comparable or better system for a spell at $Q, which is $P
    less than $Y, the outlet will have to reduce their price or their
    stock of surplus Dells won't sell. Worse, if that $Q pricing of
    Dell's is less than $X, the outlet is in deep kimchee and facing
    a serious loss, depending on how many computers they bought from
    Dell at $X.

    You obviously caught a bargain, and that your savings was as much
    as $400 seems to show that in this case the outlet's buyer
    guessed right when he bought that batch of 8400s and made the
    outlet company a net profit.

    In the situation Hummer described, the outlet guessed wrong, and
    right now the buyer involved is probably gulping Maaloxes and
    Tylenol like Tic-Tacs.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 1, 2005
  17. Paul

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yeah. There's a guy selling (refurbed) Dimension 4400's up there ( "in
    sealed box") for prices that are too high for P4 2GHz machines. He'd best
    hope he moves whatever stock he has quickly, as he's already upside down.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 1, 2005
  18. Ben,
    Well actually the specs weren't too bad. Motherboard: ECS + Intel
    chipset, socket 478, 800Mhz FSB, 4 DDR DIMM slots (dual channel) for PC3200.
    ATX form factor. 1 8X AGP and 5 PCI slots. 2 SATA/RAID connectors, 8 usb
    ports (two in front). Memory was 512 MB (Micron) to which I've added another
    512 MB.Processor is a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 (Prescott) w/ 800 MHz FSB. Video is
    Radeon 9200 SE w/128MB DDR memory. It has DVI and TV out. Hard drive is a
    Western Digital 160 GB running at 7200 RPM. DVD-RW-ROM is a Sony 8X / 16X
    combo drive. Power supply is 400 watts. The major problem was the packaging
    and not getting the computer delivered damaged. I'm on my second unit now
    and so far at least it doesn't sporadically reboot. When I emailed about the
    damage to the front bezel I was told to file a claim with the shipper. They
    had on their advertisement that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and
    then reneged on that. Service sucks mostly.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 1, 2005