Dell Poweredge 2300 / Raid

Discussion in 'Dell' started by shug, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. shug

    shug Guest

    Hello,

    I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
    RAID management.
    At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :

    adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
    HDD 1
    HDD 2
    DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP

    adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
    CROM
    DAT

    It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about
    raid capabilities.
    how to know ?

    thanks for you answers
    shug

    shug, Apr 29, 2005

  2. You will need to buy a RAID (PowerEdge RAID Controller or PERC, or some
    other RAID controller - Adaptec, LSI Logic, etc). What you have now is
    just an ultrawide SCSI controller - no RAID.

    Edward J. Neth, Apr 30, 2005

  3. shug

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    That server has an embedded array controller, but you need a RAID enabler
    key and a cache DIMM (128M standard) installed to make it work.

    Also, going into the setup, you can change the channel mode from SCSI to
    RAID. Open your box, and have a look inside. If you see the tiny little PCB
    and extra memory DIMM installed in the board, you are ready for raid. If
    not, I have some I could sell you.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, May 2, 2005