Dell Poweredge 2650 error

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steve, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    This may not be the correct place to post this question but I could
    find a better place other than http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/.
    I did post this same question there but have not yet gotten an answer
    so I thought I would try here as well.

    So here is my question/problem:

    I have inherited a Poweredge 2650. In setting it up I noticed that
    the front LCD display is amber and says:
    First line: "PIER1"
    Second line (scrolling): "NTDLPSTEST1"

    Whatever the problem is it does not prevent the machine from booting
    to BIOS (I have not yet installed an OS) and reporting correctly on
    the CPUs, RAM, etc.

    I have searched the web (googled it) and can not find anything about
    this error message. Can anyone here tell me what this message means.

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    Purely a guess:

    1) possibly a BIOS/init test of the PERC onboard controller?

    2) NT DLP Storage test 1 (DLP tape storage internally on the machine)?

    I'd guess both messages are normal pre-POST tests, but I do not know for
    certain.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 24, 2008

  3. Not seen that one before, I'm afraid. However, these are some things
    you could check:

    - Are both PSUs working and plugged in (if the system has one).
    - Is there any issue with the disks/RAID in the system? If new
    server, maybe better to trash RAID config.
    - There is also a Dell Diagnostics tool which can be booted from CD
    and you gcan get more information from this. Unfortunately, I am not
    at work at the moment, so don't have a link, but there may be
    something on the Server Assistant boot CD, or one of the diagnostics
    CDs available in the set for download.

    If I was going to use this, I would use the firmware update disk to
    ensure that all the various components are running at latest firmware.

    Sorry I couldn't have been of more help,

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Mar 24, 2008
  4. Steve

    Basill Guest

    I dont think these are error messages, you can go into the BIOS and set
    custom text for the LCD screen, the message you are seeing looks like the
    last users server name.
    Orange does mean there is probably a fault though, does anything else scroll
    past? Maybe a fault code, these are often a letter E followed by some
    digits and then a clue in plain text.
    You could run Dell diags or install your OS and use Openmanage to identify
    the problem.

    Basill, Mar 24, 2008
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    By George I think you have it. Yes there were other errors being
    reported. I fixed those and then the display turned back to it's
    normal color (sorry I forgot to mention that) but still showed the
    strange text. I will try this as soon as I get home this evening and
    see if that is the issue.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 24, 2008
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Well it appears as though Basill has solved my problem and quite
    quickly too I might add.

    Since I have had such good luck o this group here is another
    question...

    Is there a downloadable, bootable image with firmware upgrades for
    these servers? IOW is there an image file of the latest firmware
    upgrades that can be used to create a bootable disk that will, when
    boot to, update all the firmware of the system?

    Thanks again,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 24, 2008
  7. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    By George I think you have it. Yes there were other errors being
    reported. I fixed those and then the display turned back to it's
    normal color (sorry I forgot to mention that) but still showed the
    strange text. I will try this as soon as I get home this evening and
    see if that is the issue.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve -

    FWIW - I don't think the text is strange. I believe it may be normal
    hardware initialization messaging.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 24, 2008