    what won't ahead of time.

    Thanks!
    Kenneth

    Kenneth.Heal, May 14, 2007

  2. Kenneth.Heal

    Tom Scales Guest

    It's a Dell, I suspect. Dell has boards built to their specs by a number
    of manufacturers. They often resemble other vendor's motherboards, but
    differ is subtle ways.

    That said, they're pretty standard, so unless you have weird
    peripherals, they should work.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 14, 2007

  3. Kenneth.Heal

    Kenneth.Heal Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    I know that Dell use Foxconn, Quanta and ASUSTek for some of their kit
    but I am not too sure about their server ranges; we do have some
    eclectic apps and peripherals, and in any case I would be interested
    to know. I have searched around but haven't seen any other whitebox
    boards or chassis with the mix of dual LGA-771 Socket (aka Socket J),
    Intel 5000X chipset and the Broadcom NIC's, asides from models from
    IBM and HP. (Maybe all three are using the same supplier, who
    knows.) TBH there seems to be a complete dearth of white-box boards
    for dual LGA-771, but that would be another discussion for another
    newsgroup.

    In any case would be curious to know.

    cheers, Kenneth

    Kenneth.Heal, May 14, 2007
  4. Kenneth.Heal

    Pen Guest

    Go here and read the various docs. It looks like the motherboard alone
    has no ports but, rather every thing is on plug in risers.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2950/en/index.htm

    Pen, May 14, 2007
  5. Kenneth.Heal

    Kenneth.Heal Guest

    Hi

    Have already read those and more. Like any small form factor system
    the motherboard will use riser cards for expansion cards; but that was
    not my question here.

    regards
    Kenneth

    Kenneth.Heal, May 14, 2007
  6. Kenneth.Heal

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ken -

    As an aside, you know you have 21 days from invoice with which to return the
    unit if the apps gack, right?

    If you can get the machine set up for test pretty quickly you can probably
    get your answer well within the return period.

    Just a thought.

    S.Lewis, May 14, 2007
  7. Kenneth.Heal

    Kenneth.Heal Guest

    Hi

    Good bit of lateral thinking; unfortunately here in Europe you usually
    have to sue or at least threaten to sue Dell before they will take
    anything back, unless you are a consumer or you are a really large
    company with Gold service support etc. or you can easily prove it was
    a machine defect. In the case of an in-house app. which pukes that
    would be impossible.

    I think they are a bit more customer-focussed in the States. That is
    another discussion (which I don't propose kicking off here), but of
    course I would rather increase my chances of knowing everything works
    first time around, and I am also just a bit curious what stuff they
    are putting into the servers these days.

    cheers, Kenneth

    Kenneth.Heal, May 14, 2007