    If I go to Austin, Texas, does anyone know if I get a better deal
    buying a Dell at or close to the plant? Of course I'll save the
    shipping costs (if any) but just wondering if anything else.

    RnR, Mar 24, 2007

  2. RnR

    olfart Guest

    You might save what it costs you to get there and back....with gas around
    2.50/gal

    olfart, Mar 24, 2007

  3. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    You cannot buy one locally. You have to order it and have it shipped, even
    if you live next door to the plant (and many desktops are in Nashville now
    anyway).

    They used to have an Outlet store which was candyland to a geek like me, but
    they closed that. It was an entire former grocery store.

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2007
  4. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Ok, thanks. Too bad about that since I expect to be there a few times
    a year anyway but no big deal.

    OT: BTW, did you ever get the Corvette yet? How do you like it?
    How do you rate the build quality at this point? I'm not ready for
    one right now which is kinda good since I'm not sure if I'll want a
    sports car or a luxury car. Meanwhile, I'm kinda busy right now
    buying real estate locally and acquiring the florida real estate too.
    I've done this before so no big deal as long as I have the
    money <g>.

    RnR, Mar 24, 2007
  5. If you are in Austin, and it's still there, be sure to eat at the Old
    San Francisco Steak House (they have these in a couple other large
    cities in Texas also). Great restaurant.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 24, 2007
  6. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Thanks. We had one on the west side of Houston but my wife thinks
    it's closed now. I'll check to see if they have a web site so I can
    see if the Austin one is still open. Hey Barry meet me there and I'll
    buy you dinner <g>. I think my next trip there will be in a couple of
    months (not sure when right now).

    RnR, Mar 24, 2007
  7. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Good, but the key to Austin is Mexican food.

    Matt's Famous Mexican. It's huge and a very diverse crowd and some of the
    best food I've ever had.

    I miss it

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2007
  8. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, and I like it a lot. Better build quality than you would expect from a
    Chevy, but for the price, it should. Much better Nav/XM than my BMW --
    light years better. OnStar too.

    Oh, and 400hp :)

    That's why we had to move. I needed another garage.

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2007
  9. RnR

    WSZsr Guest

    Matt's El Rancho?

    WSZsr, Mar 24, 2007
  10. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    This is strange and wonderful culture we have in this country. Take eating
    steak for example. In New York, you get Kansas City or Chicago steak. In
    Chicago, it's a New York strip cut. In Austin, San Fracisco is the steak. No
    doubt, in San Fran, you order a Texas steak. Um, it's just a steak.

    It would be a nice masters or PhD thesis in sociology for someone with nothing
    else to do making a survey of what the preferred names of steaks are in the
    major American cities. Of course, it would be a practical study, traveling
    around the country gorging on steak... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 24, 2007
  11. RnR

    Tom Lake Guest

    It would be a nice masters or PhD thesis in sociology for someone with
    I'm from New York State but I'd never heard of New York Style pizza until
    I moved to Petersburg, Virginia. If you ever get to Petersburg, see if
    Brothers
    Pizzeria is still open. They used to serve the best Italian food of any
    restaurant
    I've ever been to. Also, every dish was smothered in melted Mozzarella
    cheese.
    Yum!

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 24, 2007
  12. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yep!

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2007
  13. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hey, I'm retired, maybe I'll make that my life's work -- for the 3 or 4
    years until my arteries would entire clog and I'd die in some cheap hotel
    room. Hmm, maybe not.

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2007
  14. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, you would probably do better than the guy who spent a month eating only
    the food at Mickey D's three times a day. At least you could balance the
    protein and cholesterol with a monster salad, avoid the bread, potatoes and
    sweet dessert... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 25, 2007
  15. RnR

    MZB Guest

    Yeah-- and you'd probably be playing online poker at the time and have aces
    and eights

    Mel

    MZB, Mar 25, 2007
  16. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Avoid bread, potatoes and sweet dessert? Then what's the point!

    Tom Scales, Mar 25, 2007
  17. RnR

    WSZsr Guest

    AMEN!

    WSZsr, Mar 25, 2007
  18. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    I guess that the point is to continue enjoying life, even if you have to
    substitute new things to enjoy for the old ones that threaten your life.

    Myself, I am a easy victim for first-rate breads, having lived in several places
    where the local bakeries produced delicious, healthy, and nutricious breads, not
    your Wonder Bread at the supermarket... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 25, 2007
  19. RnR

    Journey Guest

    One of my major financial goals in life is to someday get underground
    parking :)

    Journey, Mar 25, 2007
  20. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, you don't want underground in Florida. You'd be below the water table
    :)

    Tom Scales, Mar 25, 2007