    swing arc.

    So don't tell me about the steak, but the steak is way up there too (in
    taste, not "on the ceiling" :) )

    Barry Watzman, Mar 26, 2007

  2. I think you are thinking of blackjack and not poker.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 26, 2007

  3. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, poker. Aces and Eights is the dead man's hand. The legend says that
    Wild Bill Hickock was holding Aces and Eights when he was shot.

    Tom Scales, Mar 26, 2007
  4. RnR

    Journey Guest

    There is a place in Chicago, "Carson's Ribs" that makes the best ribs.

    Journey, Mar 26, 2007
  5. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Chicago (and Beverly Hills) also has the best steaks, in my opinion, at
    Lawrys (yes, the seasoning people). They bring the entire roast to your
    table on a cart and cut your Prime Rib for you.

    Incredible.

    Tom Scales, Mar 26, 2007
  6. RnR

    MZB Guest

    nope-- dead man's hand

    MZB, Mar 27, 2007
  7. RnR

    Paul Guest

    Whew good thing you didn't give Corvettes a bad rating Tom, you can bash
    Dell here but never vettes LOL.... Big Corvette lover here, actually on my
    second vette, 1st was a 76 L82 4spd now have a 89 6spd, absolutely the most
    bang for the buck in the sports car world..

    Paul, Mar 29, 2007
  8. RnR

    DervMan Guest

    From a European perspective, things are not so straightforward, though...
    <g>

    DervMan, Mar 29, 2007
  9. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Really? How many of the new C6 Corvettte's have you driven? I'll put it up
    against virtually any car under $150K. Blows my German M3 into the weeds.

    Tom Scales, Mar 29, 2007
  10. RnR

    DervMan Guest

    New-ish, just the one, but that was a 2004 model in California (does the '04
    C6 have different emission control gubbins?).

    I utterly loved it...

    ....but wouldn't want to run one on UK roads. Great on a smooth freeway, not
    so great on our rougher and noisier motorways and for a back roads, it would
    start to become a liability.

    A great pipe dream idea. Or for track days, except, I'll wager there's more
    fun to be had with something smaller, less powerful, much cheaper with the
    engine where it should be - in the middle.

    DervMan, Mar 29, 2007
  11. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    With roads in the US northeast crumbling from the usual winter wear and tear, a
    Corvette does not go too fast around here, either. My neighbor has one, and he
    drives it very slowly and carefully. If you have to do that, what is the point
    of all the horsepower? Nice car for driving downtown to pick up the girls,
    though. My neighbor is in his 70's... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 29, 2007
  12. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    The 2004 was a completely different car (a C5 -- or the 5th series of
    Corvette). Sort of like an E36 to the E46 BMW. Very nice (I had a 2001),
    but new models (from 2005 on) are a big improvement in power and handling.

    And ride. I think you'd find it quite acceptable (particularly while
    enjoying the 400hp).

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 29, 2007
  13. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, but in Florida the roads are good :)

    Tom Scales, Mar 29, 2007
  14. RnR

    Paul Guest

    I'm in NE PA here and yes the roads at the moment are rough to say the
    least, by June their much smoother which works for me since I put her to bed
    in the fall and get her out of hibernation right around now but spend most
    of April and May getting it perfect for the summer, this year it's radio/amp
    problem, new back pads & rotors and a catback replacement. Tom my
    friend/neighbor recently picked up a brand new Red C6 and blew me away by
    letting me take it for a spin... AWESOME! In two works "Tight" & "Fast"!!!
    But what surprised me was it's wasn't the leaps and bounds over my C4 as I
    found when I went from my C3 76' to my present C4 89', talk about HUGE
    differences.. Yet again show me more bang for the buck then a C6!!

    Paul, Mar 29, 2007
  15. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, it isn't nearly as fast as my C5, but it had a bored/stroked 422 with
    a 12psi dual intercooled supercharger.

    700hp

    At the wheels.

    Great fun.

    Doesn't everyone need that?

    Tom Scales, Mar 29, 2007
  16. RnR

    DervMan Guest

    Gotcha. You see whilst I'm married to an American and I go over as much as
    I can, plus I'm emigrating in a few years, I concentrate on looking at more,
    erm, sensible rides. Things like the Chevrolet Impala (mind you that can
    have a 6.1 V8 can it not?). :-/

    The family fleet includes a Prius, a 944 S2, a couple of Suburbans, a PT
    Cruiser and I believe a Rabbit convertible.
    Power - they didn't need more really. Aside the "you always need more" of
    course.

    Handling? I enjoyed it, because I like the "boat anchor up front and light
    rear" approach. But quite how American teenagers with a 'Vette survive to
    their 20s is beyond me... :p
    It's more the noise and sensations of the V8 than the power. Don't get me
    wrong, power is kinda nice :) but it's the noise. I can get that from any
    V8, such as my wife's old Mercury Capri 5.0. Hardly powerful, but, great
    fun, especially in the wet. It rarely rains in Tulare Country, California,
    but when it does the roads are well greasy.

    DervMan, Mar 29, 2007
  17. RnR

    DervMan Guest

    Where's "NE PA" for a limey? :p North East, but I don't know the state,
    sorry.

    I disagree on the bang per buck because you pay for the car all year around
    but only use it for half. Something like this should be enjoyed all of the
    time, it's such a waste to have it in the garage for half of the year.

    I used to track day / nav rally / sprint race my little Ka. 1.3 litres of
    four cylinder gutless poke, but a wheel at each corner and a chassis /
    suspension set up just the right side of oversteer. Great fun. Also very
    usable all year around, well mostly *grins* www.dervman.com/ttwg.htm
    hehehehe.

    DervMan, Mar 29, 2007
  18. RnR

    Paul Guest

    For a Yank NE PA is Northeast Pennsylvania and no sport car goes well in 2
    feet of snow lol.. Hence the reason it gets stored for the winter
    months(usually only 3 1/2 months)..

    Paul, Mar 29, 2007