    Curious on what the average life of a system is or if anyone has one been
    running one longer.

    Bob

    Robert243, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Robert243

    Bob Levine Guest

    I've yet to have one die on me. But I replace them every 2 years or so.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Oct 20, 2006

  3. I have an XPS T 450 that was bought in early 99 and has been on 24/7 since.
    It first served as my desktop and the a few years ago was moved to a
    File/Mail server. I maxed out the memory and did replace the processor from
    the PIII 450 to a PIII 1Gig but not because I had too, because I could. The
    original processor is currently running in a home built Intel PC as a Web
    server which is also on 24/7.

    I have another XPS T 450, bought at the same time that was used as a desktop
    until just a few months ago.

    I service a good number of clients who all use Dell PCs and server, and I
    haven't had to replace a desktop yet because it failed. I have had to
    replace hard drives and CDROMs but that's just about it. Oh and Floppies
    always seem to fail but I don't use them anymore anyway.

    HTH

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 20, 2006
  4. Robert243

    Pat Conover Guest

    Ah the old XPS T 450, a fine workhorse of a machine. Mine was running fine
    till about six months ago when I finally decided to drop in the old 1.4GHz
    PowerLeap processor I had bought years before. Well apparently the 3GB or
    6GB HD coincidentally decided to die when I put the new processor in. I
    then lost my motivation and still need to put it back together, with a new
    HD, the 1.4GHz PowerLeap and a new XP install.

    Pat

    Pat Conover, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Robert243

    S.Lewis Guest

    In the past 4 years, I've had to replace exactly (1) Dell system board, and
    that was on a Dimension 4550 that was a couple years old - and there were
    power events associated with that. (It belonged to someone else.)

    Right now, we have (6) Dells in the house. 5 desktops (the oldest dates back
    to 1998) and one laptop that dates back to '99.

    No issues. The new stuff is still as good as anything out there as far as
    can be discerned.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 20, 2006
  6. Well my oldest Dell is 4 years this month, but I have a Gateway G 400 that
    is still running since October 1998, albeit very slow compared to any of the
    threee Dells I have around the place.

    Scotty

    Scotty Silton, Oct 21, 2006
  7. The XPS866r I bought in 05/2000 is still going strong (although not here
    anymore, I gave it away in 03/2003).

    Sparky Spartacus, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Robert243

    Irene Guest

    We still have two Dell computers, both out of warranty. Dell's hardware
    reliability has never been a problem for us.

    Getting good quality tech support HAS become a very serious problem. Hence,
    we no longer purchase from Dell and won't until the support issues for the
    "home" consumer have been resolved.

    Irene

    Irene, Oct 21, 2006
  9. Robert243

    paulmd Guest

    It's hard to say. I recently put win98 on a dell 486dx4 laptop (24mb
    ram) and did web surfing with it. Some computers are near immortal. I
    regularly see working Apple IIs (20+ years old).

    paulmd, Oct 21, 2006
  10. Robert243

    Tom Scales Guest

    Gosh, I just had a laptop fail, two weeks OUT of warranty and the nice
    people in the Home division fixed it anyway.

    Guess they just don't like you

    Tom Scales, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Robert243

    S.Lewis Guest

    A bigger problem is the fact that the "blocked sender's" list in outlook
    express is only partially effective.

    I'd like to ask Bill Gates how some people periodically "escape" from my
    killfile.

    S.Lewis, Oct 22, 2006

  12. I've got a Dimension XPS-R450, purchased new in January, 1999.
    I've had no problems with it at all. I upgraded the 17GB 5400rpm
    Maxtor hard drive a couple years ago to an 80GB 7200 Maxtor
    running off a SIIG PCI controller card, and I upgraded the CRdrive
    to a CD/DVD drive, but nothing has failed.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Oct 22, 2006
  13. DELLBOT! DELLBOT!! DELLBOT!!!

    Sparky Spartacus, Oct 22, 2006
  14. Robert243

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, yeah, I used the special Dellbot telepathic connection to get service.
    Don't you?

    Tom Scales, Oct 22, 2006
  15. SSSSHHH, we can't mention that in open code.

    Sparky Spartacus, Oct 23, 2006
  16. Robert243

    Irene Guest

    I am very happy that they handled it for you. But, the fact remains(and you
    have most certainly read the posts and even agreed with many of them) that
    Tech Support at Dell has gone down hill--big time. And all your insults and
    ridicule will not change that fact.

    Irene, Oct 23, 2006
  17. Robert243

    Tom Scales Guest

    At least I'm here to help. You've been here long enough to have learned
    something about Dells. Why don't you jump in and start answering questions?

    Tom Scales, Oct 23, 2006
  18. Robert243

    Irene Guest

    As you well know, I have. Granted, they are very limited in nature, as I
    consider my self fairly computer illiterate. Unlike some who post to this
    group, I would rather not post some thing that might not be correct, then
    have the person that I was attempting to help find out the hard way that I
    was wrong.

    How many times have you posting an incorrect "help" post, only to find out
    later, that you were wrong?

    Irene, Oct 24, 2006
  19. Robert243

    Tom Scales Guest

    Would you rather I didn't answer any questions? I believe the vast majority
    of my answers are correct and luckily this group is filled with people that
    will jump in if I am incorrect. If I make any suggestions that have the
    potential to be destructive, I try to be extremely clear about that in the
    response.

    If no one ever answered anything because they might be wrong, how would
    anyone get help?

    Take the easy ones.

    - when you put in a new drive, even though it works, you have to go into the
    BIOS and change it from OFF to AUTO, otherwise it is slow.
    - drives should be jumpered Cable Select on a Dell
    - CD and DVD drives are pretty much interchangeable. If you want a DVD
    burner, you can replace your CD burner without any other changes
    - Installing Dell's version of XP by booting from the CD will not require
    activation

    You know these. You've read them here a hundred times. Jump in and take
    some of the weight off our shoulders. Make us believe you're more than just
    a whiner.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 24, 2006
  20. Robert243

    Irene Guest

    Back to you. Make us believe you are trying to do something besides trying
    to impress others with your superior knowledge.

    No, I'll stick to the way I do things. Help when I am sure of what I am
    doing. Otherwise, I prefer to exercise the good judgment not to guess, but
    to leave it to someone else who DOES know the right answer.

    Irene, Oct 25, 2006