    http://consumer.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjQ1NTIsLCxoY29uc3VtZXIsLCwx

    That's kind of bland. Since when is upgrading the norm? I suspect some
    flaw in the motherboard.

    Tom Scales, Oct 7, 2007

  2. Kenneth J. Harris

    S.Lewis Guest

    Given that there was a (Dell) apology in those comments, I'd agree. Can't
    see them doing that for a limited upgrade path of any system.

    S.Lewis, Oct 7, 2007

  3. Kenneth J. Harris

    georgie Guest

    Dell forgot to disclose it was a "crippled" chipset...see
    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9696908-1.html

    georgie, Oct 7, 2007
  4. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    Yes, Dell has an offer (expires 10/13) to XPS700 owners to swap their
    original mobos for XPS720 mobos, no charge for the mobo and installation
    is included at no charge as well (I installed my own, of course, which
    is not a big deal if you're comfortable with the cover off and can
    follow directions).

    http://www.xpsupgradeprogramdell.com/Pages/Default.aspx

    Feel free to ask more if interested.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  5. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    Promises were made to attract gamers, e.g., the 700 would be
    overclockable, which didn't work out in real life. Offering the XPS720
    mobo swap is/was an effort on Dell's part to make good on their original
    promises. When the swap is complete your computer identifies itself as
    an XPS720 when booting, etc. It's not required, but I bought a Q6600
    Quad processor and 2GB of Corsair 800mhz memory (overclockable to
    1066mhx). I'm *very* pleased with mine.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  6. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    Dell has a video showing the mobo swap.

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/07/10/17626.aspx

    Some things are more difficult to do in real life than the video would
    suggest. :)

    Another link with good info re: the swap.

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/06/21/18870.aspx

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  7. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    IMHO Dell did it for business reasons. Of course, read some of the posts
    on the mobo upgrade thread and you see people fuming that's it's not
    enough, some XPS710 owners (who have to pay for the new mobo) accusing
    Dell of trying to make money, etc (the horror! <g>). They seem to think
    Dell should treat them better for buying a $4,000-5,000 (?) computer
    than Mercedes Benz or Rolls treats their customers who spend $200,000 on
    a new car.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  8. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Tony, I ordered the upgrade today, but then asked by email could I still
    upgrade to the QX6700 processor and what would it cost? The following
    is their answer.

    It is not to late. Price to you after the 25% discount is $840. Google
    Toms hardware guide and look at the processor reviews. It is an
    independent site and you can compare your current processor against the
    QX6700 to determine if it is worth while.

    I believe my 700 is a Core 2 Duel E6600.

    Would this really be worth the $840 cost.

    The QX6700 renders at 00.43
    The E6600 renders at 1.26

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  9. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tom Scales Guest

    You might want to consider the QX6600. The 6700 is really expensive and
    I'm not sure it is worth it. Typical of the 'top' CPU at any given
    time.

    Just as a price comparison

    QX6700 CPU = $840
    XPS410 computer, fully loaded, with QX6600 processor = $750

    Tom Scales, Oct 8, 2007
  10. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Tom, along with the XPS 700 free motherboard upgrade they were offering
    only the QX6700 processor for $840. Is that a lot faster then my Core 2
    Duel 6600.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  11. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, I know, but for what tasks? For a games that can't use multiple
    cores (and most can't), I don't think it will gain you much.

    My point was the Q6600 isn't as fast, but the CPU is only $279 at
    Newegg.

    PCMark 2005:

    E6600 = 6150
    Q6600 = 7753 = 26% gain
    QX6700 = 8609 = 39% gain

    On the Warhammer test (whatever that is -- seemed game like)

    E6600 = 38.4
    Q6600 = 40.7 = 6% gain
    QX6700 = 44.2 = 15% gain

    Nobody likes speed more than me, that's why I own fast cars :), but I
    can't see spending the money. The E6600 is an excellent processor.

    But it would be cool.

    Tom Scales, Oct 8, 2007
  12. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Thanks Tom, think I'll stay with what I already have.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  13. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh now, I feel bad now. We all want you to have the best and most
    powerful machine.

    Tom Scales, Oct 8, 2007
  14. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Tom, are you saying it would be powerful? :)
    I'll give it some thought until this afternoon before I say no or commit
    to the chip.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  15. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Mostly adventure games and my favorite Halo.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  16. Kenneth J. Harris

    RnR Guest

    Perhaps you already know this and if so, disregard this post.......

    I don't mean to discourage you from buying a faster cpu but keep in
    mind that while these are benchmarks for the chip, they do not
    represent the PC as a whole. Inotherwords, the chip might be 40%
    faster doesn't mean the pc is the same % faster.

    This might make a good argument to go for the 2nd fastest chip as it
    might give you more bang for buck as Tom is pointing out earlier.

    RnR, Oct 8, 2007
  17. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I realize what both you and Tom are saying regarding the less costly
    cpu. They are not offering a lesser CPU. Last November I purchased
    this XPS 700 for a total of $2,000 refurbished. Beautiful system. HD
    120 10000rpms, 512 meg Video card,
    a card reader, 7 PCI slots, the pretty but very large heavy silver case.
    I did price check on the XPS 720 Red, which had the QX6700 and seemed
    very close to what I have, removed the monitor cost and came up with
    $3,500 new. I just really want to know if adding $840 cpu with a new
    free upgraded motherboard all installed in my home for free is worth it.
    I'm beginning to think overall it may be worth it.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  18. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest

    The hard drive is 160 at 10000rpms.

    Joan Hansen, Oct 8, 2007
  19. Kenneth J. Harris

    S.Lewis Guest

    I wouldn't do it for over $800. Heck, wait a while and get the same CPU for
    half that in a year or two.

    S.Lewis, Oct 8, 2007
  20. Kenneth J. Harris

    Joan Hansen Guest