    I would definitely shop carefully for processors to see current market
    price vs. Dell's price with discount.

    Tony

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    I don't think Intel offers a QX6600, just the Q6600, which is what I
    bought and which I'll bet is in your new XPS410.

    http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007

  3. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    That's been my philosophy since the 386 chips hit the market at US$1,000
    more than the 286. I like to stay a step or 2 away from the bleeding,
    and costly, edge.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  4. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tony Harding Guest

    Your call, obviously, your $$$ & your computer.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007
  5. Kenneth J. Harris

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, you're correct. Q6600

    Tom Scales, Oct 8, 2007
  6. Kenneth J. Harris

    WSZsr Guest

    Especially since you can purchase the Q6600 for $279!

    WSZsr, Oct 8, 2007
  7. Kenneth J. Harris

    Sudohnim Guest

    You know what kind of software you run, and a little research would
    give you an idea of what kind of performance increase a quad-core
    might offer. It could be huge or modest. Presumably Dell would
    overclock the QX6700 for you, as is done in the XPS 720. So you
    could lookup benchmarks for a 2.93GHz or whatever QX6700
    vs a Q6700 vs a Q6600 *running the type of software you run* and
    then factor in price/performance.

    One thing you could investigate is what the tech will do if you don't
    purchase the QX6700. If the tech will be moving your existing CPU
    over to the new motherboard, perhaps he would be happy to instead
    install a Q6X00 if you had that on hand. That is if nothing else would
    be required for such an upgrade, such as a larger heatsink. IOW,
    you may be able to upgrade to something other than the QX6700
    and still have Dell handle all of the installation.

    Before you go paying alot of money for an upgrade to an existing
    Kentsfield quad-core, you should be aware that the new Yorkfield
    quad-cores will be starting to roll out next month:

    http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=16193&catid=2

    Yorkfield is a little faster than Kentsfield for most stuff, but alot faster
    running software that supports the new SSE4 extensions. You could
    investigate whether your new motherboard (chipset/BIOS) is
    compatible with Yorkfield.

    Penryn, Skulltrail, and Nehalem would be some keywords to google
    for and read about in general. There is some attractive stuff on the
    horizon. Not that one should chase after it mind you, but a little
    planning with respect to upgrades and timing is certainly reasonable.

    Sudohnim, Oct 8, 2007
  8. Kenneth J. Harris

    RnR Guest

    So far in my lifetime, if you wait a bit, there's always something
    faster about to hit the marketplace <grin>.

    RnR, Oct 8, 2007
  9. more interesting would be to ask if he/she was actually found drunk at a
    dinner party.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 9, 2007